Brewers Yeast for 'pollen' patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewers yeast is the same as dry active yeast, depending on how many hive you intend feeding you might be better off buying the stuff in Tesc@'s, works out less than £1 per 700g patty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker's_yeast

Thank you for your help. I checked out the difference between Brewers Yeast and Bakers Yeast from http://www.livestrong.com/article/418496-what-is-the-difference-between-brewers-yeast-bakers-yeast/

USES
Brewer's yeast is used to brew homemade wines and beers, while baker's yeast makes bread rise. You can't brew alcohol with baker's yeast and you can't leaven bread with brewer's yeast. Historically, brewer's yeast has also been used to treat burns, diabetes, diarrhea, eczema, nervous disorders, lower cholesterol, increase energy and immune functioning, relieve stress, detoxify skin, reduce wrinkles and heal wounds. There is, however, no scientific evidence supporting these uses. Anecdotally, pet owners may sprinkle brewer's yeast into their pet's food to ward off fleas and ticks.
NUTRITIONAL DIFFERENCES
While brewing alcohol is its primary purpose, brewer's yeast is also frequently used as a nutritional supplement, although it should not be confused with nutritional yeast. Used this way, brewer's yeast provides B-complex vitamins as well as many valuable minerals, including calcium, potassium, iron and selenium. It is also one of the richest sources of chromium, which baker's yeast does not contain, and has all of the essential amino acids, which comprise about half its weight.
HEALTH PRECAUTIONS
Neither brewer's yeast nor baker's yeast is the same as the Candida albicans yeast that causes infection. Some reports of yeast infection not related to Candida have been reported from brewer's yeast, however. Baker's yeast, by contrast, is not known to cause infection, although it can exacerbate existing infections. Baker's yeast should never be taken as a nutritional supplement or food source, as it can actually deprive your body of B vitamins as it continues growing in your intestines. Brewer's yeast can alter the beneficial bacteria in the large intestines while baker's yeast will not.

You learn something every day!

Here is Finman's recipe (Finman - thank you for your wisdom oh knowledgable one).
But I am confused about the dates. How many dates per proportion of other ingredients? Do I just soak them and use the juice only? Or, do I add pureed dates to the mixture after soaking? I was planning on making the patty up with soya flour, brewers yeast (when I get it) and thick syrup, plus a little veg oil to stop it drying out. I will not be using pollen

Pollen patty recipe

2 kg dry yeast
1 kg soya flour
1 kg irradiated pollen

4 kg sugar as 2:1 syrup
2-3 dl rape oil (bees did not accept olive oil)
one multivitamin pill
one multi B-vitamin pill
one mangesium pill

30% of sugar should be fructose. It takes moisture from hive air and keeps
patty soft.
Date fruits are cheaper than fructose and bees seems to love it. It has 80% sugar. Put date into hot water that it softens.

The colony eate 0,5 - 1,0 kg paty/ week. I feed them 7 weeks = total 3-5 kg/hive

Thank you for your help. I checked out the difference between Brewers Yeast and Bakers Yeast from http://www.livestrong.com/article/418496-what-is-the-difference-between-brewers-yeast-bakers-yeast/

USES
Brewer's yeast is used to brew homemade wines and beers, while baker's yeast makes bread rise. You can't brew alcohol with baker's yeast and you can't leaven bread with brewer's yeast. Historically, brewer's yeast has also been used to treat burns, diabetes, diarrhea, eczema, nervous disorders, lower cholesterol, increase energy and immune functioning, relieve stress, detoxify skin, reduce wrinkles and heal wounds. There is, however, no scientific evidence supporting these uses. Anecdotally, pet owners may sprinkle brewer's yeast into their pet's food to ward off fleas and ticks.
NUTRITIONAL DIFFERENCES
While brewing alcohol is its primary purpose, brewer's yeast is also frequently used as a nutritional supplement, although it should not be confused with nutritional yeast. Used this way, brewer's yeast provides B-complex vitamins as well as many valuable minerals, including calcium, potassium, iron and selenium. It is also one of the richest sources of chromium, which baker's yeast does not contain, and has all of the essential amino acids, which comprise about half its weight.
HEALTH PRECAUTIONS
Neither brewer's yeast nor baker's yeast is the same as the Candida albicans yeast that causes infection. Some reports of yeast infection not related to Candida have been reported from brewer's yeast, however. Baker's yeast, by contrast, is not known to cause infection, although it can exacerbate existing infections. Baker's yeast should never be taken as a nutritional supplement or food source, as it can actually deprive your body of B vitamins as it continues growing in your intestines. Brewer's yeast can alter the beneficial bacteria in the large intestines while baker's yeast will not.

You learn something every day!

That's why I add a multi vitamin pill

Hi Finman

Do you think there is any corrolation between you patty feeding and your heating systems giving success?

A couple of weekends ago (it was about 8 degrees), i peeked inside a couple and they were tightly clustered.
With the weather the way it is, i cannot see how the gradually deminishing supply of bees would not do well at keeping just a small amount of brood alive...

Thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

That's why I add a multi vitamin pill

if you look from FINELI.FI . What vitamins dry yeast has, it does not have much.

Then you look vitamin content of royal jelly, larvae use much B-vitamins. Dry yeast has not much B-vitamins.

beekeepers' knowledge about vitamins are based on nothing.

Hi Finman

Do you think there is any corrolation between you patty feeding and your heating systems giving success?

first month goes so that limiting factor in brood rearing is number of nurser bees after winter.
If I do not feed them, they have not much pollen to start brood rearing in April.

In second month lots of new bees have emerged and then nurser bees are not any more limiting factor. Now limiting factor is size of colony . Heating helps them to keep bigger brood ball radius.
Brooding reacts too on foraging days, are they or not.

I cannot see any correlation idea between heating and feeding.

But I remember how hives reacted to wind and cold before heating. Heating is very positive thing in big hives.

. We may have in late of April -5C at night and day +10C. Willow gives pollen in May and -7C night temps may exist in May.

Frost nights are gone 10. June.

When I take my biggest hives to forest pastures, I have clearly seen how heated hives in home yard build up much faster than in forest.

.it is funny that biggest hives get best advange from heating and patty feeding, but other beekeepers cannot understand why I do this.

Last edited:
Dates and Canned Dried bakers yeast if you need it can be sourced from:
wholefoodsonline.co.uk

Dates Pitted Free Flow 1kg £2.93
DCL Active Dried Yeast 500g £3.60

Put your dates into a saucepan and pour over boiling water, mash and leave. the object is to get a nice moist date paste and the purpose is as a source of fructose.

If your pattie mixture turns out too wet then you can add soya flour or sugar. I prefer to use sugar rather than syrup if I use spent brewers yeast. So spent that the barrel was rather football shaped. A pound of finished pattie in a zip lock bag has sat on the counter in my kitchen for the last four weeks and shows no sign of fermenting so you need not worry on that account.

At a time when you may well be giving fondant as well, then making the pattie more sugar rich strikes me as not being an issue.

Some will take the pattie and others won't. The ones that won't are probably smaller and less inclined to be raising a lot of brood. I do notice that the favoured approach by these colonies is from underneath eating away the greaseproof paper between the topbars.

The larger colonies just get all over it without a lot of ceremony.

I like to keep a little in the bottom of a bucket in the back of the car so that I have enough for refills as necessary until the weather improves and there is a plentiful source of pollen coming in without my assistance.

Why not use MARMITE ?

(except in the Land of the Danes as I believe they banned MARMITE because it was adding too much flavour to their otherwise bland diet of raw fish and flavourless cracker bread)

Isn't marmite quite high in salt? Perhaps too high?

By the time you lot get it done and on the colony, the open brood will either be lost or the weather will allow the bees to forage for pollen again, so it won't be necessary!

if you look from FINELI.FI . What vitamins dry yeast has, it does not have much.

Then you look vitamin content of royal jelly, larvae use much B-vitamins. Dry yeast has not much B-vitamins.

beekeepers' knowledge about vitamins are based on nothing.
I can see only baking yeast on the English version of fineli.fi(per 100g):

folate (HPLC) 1250.0µg
niacin equivalents, total 14.1 mg
niacin, preformed (nicotinic acid + nicotinamide) 12.3 mg
riboflavine 2.00 mg
thiamin (vitamin B1) 0.50 mg
vitamin B-12 (cobalamin) 0 µg
vitamers pyridoxine (hydrochloride) 0.48 mg

Which is consistent with the University of Maryland Medical Centre site:

Brewer's yeast is often used as a source of B-complex vitamins, chromium, and selenium. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin)

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/brewers-yeast-000288.htm
Or elsewhere:
Name Amount %DV Rank Interpretation
Thiamin 2.4 mg 157.3% Top 10% Very High
Riboflavin 5.5 mg 321.7% Top 10% Very High
Niacin 39.8 mg 198.8% Top 10% Very High
Vitamin B6 1.5 mg 77.5% Top 10% Very High
Folate 2339.9 mcg 585% Top 10% Very High
Food Folate 2339.9 mcg
Folic Acid 0 mcg
Dietary Folate Equivalents 2339.9 mcg
Vitamin B12 0.02 mcg 0.33% Mid 40% Average
Pantothenic Acid 11.3 mg 113% Top 10% Very High

Name Amount %DV Rank Interpretation
Calcium 64 mg 6.4% Top 30% High
Iron 16.6 mg 92.2% Top 10% Very High
Magnesium 98 mg 24.5% Top 10% Very High
Phosphorus 1289.8 mg 129% Top 10% Very High
Potassium 1999.7 mg 57.1% Top 10% Very High
Sodium 50 mg 2.1% Bottom 30% Low
Zinc 6.4 mg 42.7% Top 10% Very High
Copper 0.5 mg 25% Top 10% Very High
Manganese 0.55 mg 27.5% Top 30% High
Selenium 24.1 mcg 34.4% Top 30% High

Which looks to be based on somebody's standard tables for 100g at http://www.nutritionrank.com/calories-bakers-yeast-active-dry-3945 the percentages are human diet related but give an idea of the relative quantities needed.
No cobalamin (b12), A, C or Sodium. Brewers yeast has higher trace minerals than bakers yeast including chromium. Individual sources may vary but there's plenty of evidence yeast has a good dose of at least 7 vitamins that happen to have a B label.

I can see only baking yeast on the English version of fineli.fi(per 100g):

Which is consistent with the University of Maryland Medical Centre site:

Or elsewhere:

No cobalamin (b12), A, C or Sodium. Brewers yeast has higher trace minerals than bakers yeast including chromium. Individual sources may vary but there's plenty of evidence yeast has a good dose of at least 7 vitamins that happen to have a B label.

I do not know what is that catalogue
for humans of for bee larvae.

5 mg C-vitamin is very high? A human should eate every day dry yeast 1kg. Swelled with water, about 5 litres.
But C vitamin content of royal yelly is low.

I do not know what is wise list.

I bought from yeast factory bakery yeast. At least it works.

I have not found, what are right amounts of vitamin to give to bees. It has not been printed in laboratory recipes. Beeks may write what ever.

Last edited:
as per Alanf
"Brewer's yeast is often used as a source of B-complex vitamins, chromium, and selenium. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin)

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/b...ast-000288.htm "

Confirmation then, we should all be eating Marmite, yum, yum. And yes, I watched 'Ade in Britain" when he visited the Marmite factory too.

How do you read "facts" ?

Look at vitamin pill jar of daily need and then look the values of yeast vitamins.

You should eate something 1 kg a day fresh yeast that it has some meaning.
Jam jam. A little bit gasification problems.

Like honey has vitamins. You should eate 20 kg honey a day that you get daily need.

Got mine from Holland and Barrett but I'm only feeding three hives so depends what sort of qty you are needing?

Back