Brewers yeast for patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djollir

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A local beer brewer has offered me some brewers yeast to make pollen patties. I have the other ingredients but have a question about the brewers yeast...

Should it be dry or is it ok to use in a wet/slurry form? I am not sure if the bees would thank me for fortifying a nutrional supplement that has been marginally pickled in alcohol; which would be the case if I used it in a wet/slurry form.

As an afterthought, if the bees could tolerate this bit of alcohol perhaps the varroa mites can't... they may fall off the bees in a drunken stupor and die on the floor. And the more sturdy mites will also suffer because their sperm count will be impaired by the booze. Aaaah one can only dream!

If you have managed to get the yeast how about the 2% fat content soya flour? I am struggling to find any locally.....any ideas of suppliers?

Normal soya flour has 20% fat. It is good for patty. There is no harm about fat. It only makes the patty more palatable. With other stuffs fat content will be low enough. You should find it from normal big food grocery.

Rape pollen has 7% fat. It is maximum what you give.

Last edited: