Brand new!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essexgary

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to beekeeping - currently attending a beginners course (lucky enough to get to see a swarm and how to handle it within the first half hour of day one!). Hooked already - and have just ordered a Beehaus and will hopefully be up and running around July time. Looking forward to learning from all you experts! hopefully i wont need to bug you too much over the coming months...:)

Gary

Welcome to beekeeping and the forum Essexgary!

Thanks! I feel like I have entered a new world! I'm sure it will all be second nature after a while. I think my biggest question is how to keep my hobby to just one beehaus - ie two colonies.. I understand the concept of artificial swarming which would expand and fill the unused part of the Beehaus.. but I'm sitting here wondering what happens when I find queen-cups with eggs in after that... EEEK! what would your answer be?

Thanks!
Gary

Essexgary said:
ie two colonies

You have ordered one hive. It has artficial swarming capacity built in. You would not want to be keeping two full colonies in one - unless you are looking for a challenge! I have two Dartingtons (and a beehaus as well) among my hive count. I would not be keeping two colonies in the one hive for so very long. You could do if you have more than several colonies, but you have already highlighted the first of your problems.

Regards, RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Essexgary and welcome to the world of beekeeping and what a wonderful way to enter than to whiteness a swarm.
Just one question if I may be so bold what was your decision making proses that ended with the beehaus had you looked at other hives and then as a result made the right choice for you.
Good look and enjoy the ride

feel free to bug us all you like !!!

welcome to the forum - note I have a Beehaus too, as does Jimbeekeeper and a couple of others.

We might be able to help rather more than the *mlet site as most of us are online almost daily.

what colour did you go for ?

regards

S

Hi EssexGary

I have a fully occupied beehaus, and they over wintered very well compared to my other hives.

I do not envisage that I will be using it as 2 hives, but there are ways to do an artificial swarm and then unite back to one good strong hive.

Ask away with the questions

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!!

Hi EssexGary

I have a fully occupied beehaus, and they over wintered very well compared to my other hives.

I do not envisage that I will be using it as 2 hives, but there are ways to do an artificial swarm and then unite back to one good strong hive.

Ask away with the questions

Hi everyone! what a lovely warm welcome, thanks. Just a couple of responses:

I went for the (purple) beehaus - a couple of my friends have the chicken houses and they love them; plus they look funky. I can't say there's much depth to my decision making, except its new, modern and as a new keeper, figured I would do my bit to push the hobby forward a bit and support innovation and as I haven't ever had any other type of hive I probably wont notice any differences. Plus I love purple (yes, I have hidden shallows)

Jim, I might ask your advice on swarming and uniting in the future - I'm guessing that the size of the beehaus means the colony are less likely to swarm as there's so much space right?

The course is in Bedfordshire - run by Steve Kennedy and a couple of his beekeeping chums from Beds Beekeeping Assoc. it's 4 days over 4 weeks, really practical so far - based on experiencing rather than classroom. Out of 6 people on the course, I am the only one who sourced the course via Omlet.

And one last question. I am in love with my bees and I haven't even got them yet... (is that weird?) anyway - do you love your bees less after the first sting....?

G

And one last question. I am in love with my bees and I haven't even got them yet... (is that weird?) anyway - do you love your bees less after the first sting....?

No, I felt sorry for the loss of the bee that stung me.

I'm guessing that the size of the beehaus means the colony are less likely to swarm as there's so much space right?

G

It is a factor but just remember to tell the bees they have a habit of not doing what is expected

Good look

Hi Jim
Please expand on the theory that thew purple hives produce more swarming than other colours. Colours have nothing to do with swarming procedure. It's whats happening in the hive that matters. Unless you have found new evidence to show that colour has an effect on swarming.

Hi Jim
Please expand on the theory that thew purple hives produce more swarming than other colours. Colours have nothing to do with swarming procedure. It's whats happening in the hive that matters. Unless you have found new evidence to show that colour has an effect on swarming.
I suspect a little gentle leg pulling here :cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

[QUOTEAnd one last question. I am in love with my bees and I haven't even got them yet... (is that weird?) anyway - do you love your bees less after the first sting....? ][/QUOTE]

Hey Essexgary
Welcome to the site and by the way are you sure its beekeeping your wanting being in love with the bees all 30-40 thousand of them, Oh well each to our own. lol. Welcome.

Back