Bramble melomel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have a simple bramble melomel recipe? I've made a fair bit of blackberry/bramble wine over the years and I'm planning on just swapping the sugar for honey. Will this work or is there anything special I need to do when making fruity honey wines?

Sorry, I've actually never heard of this before but it sounds different. If you need an experienced (broadly speaking) wine taster, then I'd be willing to help.

:cheers2:

4lb Blackberries
4lb Honey
3 tsp Citric acid
1 tsp Yeast nutrient
Yeast Sherry or Champagne

Boil fruit in 1 gallon of water for 5 - 10 minutes. Mash then strain, add honey and stir until dissolved. When lukewarm pour into demi-john and add yeast and ferment as usual. If using Sherry yeast, after the first racking, have the demi-john 7/8 th full and place cotton-wool in an empty air-lock to allow some oxidation and prevent the vinegar fly.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the recipe Anduril. Does the Sherry yeast make much difference?

Funnily enough, my first go at making mead has turned out a little sherry like and I used a special mead yeast. It's rather nice and much better than some commercial ones I've tried and has encouraged me to try some other honey based fermentations.

It's a high alcohol yeast imparting its own flavour, which is used to those conditions. Many years ago you could get the sherry yeast in liquid form and I think the technique with that one was to add gypsum to get a sherry flor on the surface, but I have never tried it.

Latest posts

Back