Bramble jam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintmoth

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I foraged 2lbs of blackberries from the hedgerows today, so as an experiment, I turned them into jam using honey instead of sugar, and using a dozen little unripe crab apples for the pectin.

Rather to my surprise it has set beautifully and tastes wonderful.

I like jam and I like honey. I would prefer a jar of each rather than mixed! :)

I foraged 2lbs of blackberries from the hedgerows today, so as an experiment, I turned them into jam using honey instead of sugar, and using a dozen little unripe crab apples for the pectin.

Rather to my surprise it has set beautifully and tastes wonderful.

Sounds lovely. How much honey did you use?

I've been making blackberry jelly for years but since I've been a beek I use honey instead of sugar.
It takes quite a long time to get to setting point but it sets fine without the added apple..
I bet your combo tastes delicious.
1lb to 1.5 lb of honey to 1 pint of juice I used for my recipe.

I simmered the blackberries and the apples separately, the apples with enough water to cover, until they were soft then rubbed both lots through a sieve as I hate the blackberry pips in the jam. Then I used equal weights of honey and sieved purée (900g of each) and simmered it all gently for about 10 minutes.

I always add apple pectin, Curly, for a quicker set. There are plenty of crab apple trees in the field hedges around here.

Being sieved instead of dripped through muslin helps the set too. Jelly looks very pretty and sparkly, but I can't be bothered these days.

Last edited:
I like jam and I like honey. I would prefer a jar of each rather than mixed! :)

I don't eat a huge amount of jam because of the processed sugar, so I like the fact I can make jam that's low GI. Plus it cost me nothing but the heat from the stove - free jam!

Back