Bracken Spraying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POPZ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's that time of year again - spraying bracken with Asulox. I have a neighbour spraying tomorrow with helicopter very close to my hives - 150 metres with a wind blowing towards hives.

Can anyone tell me if Asulox is a danger to bees. It is a systemic planticide.

Sorry - don't know, but it would be safer to keep them at home. Pile grass over the entrance or (if you have a mesh floor for ventilation) just block them in tonight.

The likelihood would be that there will be surfacant (detergent) in the spray that might damage any fliers that get in the way, even if the herbicide itself isn't toxic.

all the best

Gavin

Sorry - don't know, but it would be safer to keep them at home. Pile grass over the entrance or (if you have a mesh floor for ventilation) just block them in tonight.

The likelihood would be that there will be surfacant (detergent) in the spray that might damage any fliers that get in the way, even if the herbicide itself isn't toxic.

all the best

Gavin

Thanks Gavin. Problem is then, how long can you keep the hive blocked? I am skippering all day and helicopter may well not spray till afternoon? Maybe some very hot and irate bees by the next evening!!

Am I missing something here? Anyone got a spare RPG available?

Well, they will not be happy, but throwing grass over the entrances does keep them fussing around the hive for a while, hopefully the day.

PolyHive posted a great link, and it says that Asulox is not harmful to bees by direct contact or ingestion, so I wouldn't bother doing anything.

G.

Google it.
A bit of Googling saves a lot of worry.

PH

Yes, thanks for that, it does appear that it can be safe but I am not thoroughly convinced. I wonder how much actual testing on bees has been completed and how thoroughly done? It is all very well reading info from the manufacturer but they are trying to sell their product.

I think this is the advantage of a forum rather than google. I think a forum can open up a discussion between humans via electronics. I prefer human wisdom, experience and discussion than electronic statements.

Then I do come from a very different era than most!!!

An MSDS sheet is a legally binding and accurate document.

If a spraying company says it is safe then I would lay good money that it is safe.

However that is all very well for me to say as my bees are not involved.

I had three sprays applied directly in front of my bees this year and not all were as bee friendly as your one. Mine are all fine with no shutting in.

However if in doubt close them in as Gavin suggests.

PH

What no BBKA endorsment, looks like they missed a trick.

Thanks for all your input. A worry shared is always a relief :)

I think this is the advantage of a forum rather than google. I think a forum can open up a discussion between humans via electronics. I prefer human wisdom, experience and discussion than electronic statements.

The only trouble with that is sometimes you are just getting someone elses opinion, which may or may not be the truth...............eventually it gets into folk lore as truth regardless of any basis.

Frisbee

Another saying from Admin is:

Knowing that a Tomato is a fruit is knowledge but not adding it to a fruit salad is wisdom.

so, so true
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Can't keep up with all this 'wisdom'!:confused:

Sprayer has helicoptered in and out sometime today and I have just been up and I told my little darlings that all will be well - or so uncle manufacturer has told me.

Very hot here, and they are staggering in with armfuls of shitty coloured pollen - wahoo. How does one know if they are bringing nectar in??

When you pull super frames or frames at the side of the broodnest you'll see nectar rather than dried down honey. It will shake out easily.

Alternatively, if it is a nice day and you have bees speeding out and speeding home yet not many are carrying pollen, then you've a nectar flow on.

G.

Thanks Gavin - makes sense. how do you tell difference between syrup and nectar?

Thanks taff. I worded that badly. I meant how do you tell in the comb/stores the difference between syrup being fed and nectar coming?

I am trying to build up a nuc? They are my first attempt at beekeeping and I maybe a bit ignorant. Queenie has now been mated and laying very nicely so still helping them as they only have new foundation to expand on. Am I wrong?

Latest posts

Back