BQCV (black queen cell virus)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi I've never seen this since I've started beekeeping and I was wondering as I plan to rear more queen's than I've ever done before.
- Whats the likelihood of me finding queen's with it.
- how do I make sure it never happens. Ie: making sure the cells are feed well.??
- tips on hopefully being successful with grafting in general.?

Im pretty much ready with equipment to start, I've just got to buy a grafting tool now.
I had planned to buy a pack of 10 Chinese ones as I will use a new one each time.
There is a better deal on a hundred.
Any preferences.

Im looking for answers mainly about the thread title pls.
Thanks as always.
C. G. F

Hi I don’t think you need to worry about BQCV, I’ve only ever seen it a handful of times. Ensure cell risers are well fed and importantly treated for varroa. As to grafting tools buy your pack of 10 those Chinese 1s break all the time. But try others you certainly develop a preference for 1 type or another. I’ve found those really fine art brushes (squirrel hair) really good. Don’t be afraid to use the reverse of the tool to break down surrounding cell walls, it gives you a better access/angle. Ian

Hi I don’t think you need to worry about BQCV, I’ve only ever seen it a handful of times. Ensure cell risers are well fed and importantly treated for varroa. As to grafting tools buy your pack of 10 those Chinese 1s break all the time. But try others you certainly develop a preference for 1 type or another. I’ve found those really fine art brushes (squirrel hair) really good. Don’t be afraid to use the reverse of the tool to break down surrounding cell walls, it gives you a better access/angle. Ian
:iagree:
Good magnifying light source... 000 art brush works for me too!
Never seen Black queen cell virus.... only the Danish Pastry one!!

I have seen BQCV when QR.. About once a year for the past 3 years. No idea why.

I re-use the same chinese grafting tool - cleaned between grafting session - as preparation to get a good one takes quite a time - thinning the tongue down so it bends more easily.
Choosing a Chinese Grafting tool Then Modifying it - YouTube

As my eyesight is rubbish ,I also bought a DONEGAN OPTIVISOR MAGNIFIER GLASS PRISMATIC 3.5X LENSES HEADSET WITH LED LIGHT .1>. Far easier than any other way of lighting and magnifier.

1> I set up a permanent search on ebay and found one being sold by a hairdresser closing down.

Last edited:
Re: magnifiers - I used to do a lot of microassembly. I found 3x magnifiers were no use, because you had to hold the object being manipulated quite a long way away to bring them into focus, so the eventual image was no larger than if you simply held it at the original distance from your eyes. However, a higher mag like 6x or 10x was a huge benefit because then you really do see a big, clear image.

Still use them to remove splinters etc.

Cheers Ian I'll look into some of the other tools.
And thanks for the advice about breaking the surrounding cell walls.

Cheers all, I'm itching now to have ago.
I've modified our incubator to take 30 cells at a time max, its only a little one for hatching eggs.
It's having enough mini nucs is the problem, I'll just have to buy more next month.

I might end up having spare virgin queen's.
Is there a market for virgin queen's?

Re: magnifiers - I used to do a lot of microassembly. I found 3x magnifiers were no use, because you had to hold the object being manipulated quite a long way away to bring them into focus, so the eventual image was no larger than if you simply held it at the original distance from your eyes. However, a higher mag like 6x or 10x was a huge benefit because then you really do see a big, clear image.

Still use them to remove splinters etc.

I fimnd when grafting any greater than 3.5x and your grafting tool hits you in the eye. :devilish:

Cheers Ian I'll look into some of the other tools.
And thanks for the advice about breaking the surrounding cell walls.

Cheers all, I'm itching now to have ago.
I've modified our incubator to take 30 cells at a time max, its only a little one for hatching eggs.
It's having enough mini nucs is the problem, I'll just have to buy more next month.

I might end up having spare virgin queen's.
Is there a market for virgin queen's?

£10 each is what some sell at.

BQCV is only an issue if the bees have nosema really.

Give them away to local beekeepers with a promise that they will care for them!..... bee improvement increasing the Amm stock!
I did this last season apple as far as I know most of them got mated.

The thing is up here I have more control.
But I know for a fact that there is a bf not to far away who says that a x is an alrounded bee type the best of all, imo I beg to differ... Maybe I'm blinded by my love of natives.
I know that our association want to consentrate on nr natives so hopefully we can re stock there colonys in the near future. ( enthusiastic plans)

Two of our new sites at close by Shropshire hills are supportive of the fact that we are concentrating on our native bees, they can obviously see the passion that I have and the direction in which I want to go forward.

I don't care if it takes 20 years to get there, I will not be swayed by my direction, that is how much I want this.

Latest posts

Back