Boxes and Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, I like castilations in the brood box, I have both brood boxes with and without.
I have shown both types to folk.
My own hives are generally with castellations but those I manage for others are generally using Hofmann frames as I feel any beek who takes over them in the future might be thrown by the castellations.

My own hives are generally with castellations but those I manage for others are generally using Hofmann frames as I feel any beek who takes over them in the future might be thrown by the castellations.
Majority of ours are on runners self spacing 10/11 frames and dummy boards but I have some with castilations.
Mentorees have been shown practically how to work with both, but they have hives with runners, if they dicide to change in the future then that's up to them.
Much the same with everything else, they will find there own feet and what is best for them.

Different teachers Amari, like most things in beekeeping there are many ways to achieve the same thing.
Whenever I've attended any of Roger P's talks, he's always tried to encourage people to try the castellations in the brood box method.

I gave it a go one year in just one hive but didn't like it so back to simple Hoffmans on runners.

I note that some beekeepers have said that they have their boxes ready to go. A word of warning - be VERY careful with these as foundation can be very brittle in this cold weather and a knock of the box can shatter the foundation. Also it can dry out and the bees like it fresh and smelling sweet. Too expensive to waste any of it.

Also it can dry out and the bees like it fresh and smelling sweet.
Bit of a myth that I'm afraid - never had any issues with bees using foundation that's been 'drying out' all winter
I think it's more what the beekeepers like rather than the bees

I note that some beekeepers have said that they have their boxes ready to go. A word of warning - be VERY careful with these as foundation can be very brittle in this cold weather and a knock of the box can shatter the foundation. Also it can dry out and the bees like it fresh and smelling sweet. Too expensive to waste any of it.
I've been fitting some wax into frames this week and found it was easier to do while it was "stiff" rather than "floppy" as it goes in the summer. I must say I was a bit worried in might shatter but it wasn't too cold in the shed.
If I think the wax looks a bit dull and without that nice waxy smell when I come to put the frames into the boxes I give them a quick flash over with the blow torch that I use for lighting my smoker. I've never had a problem with acceptance since I started doing this.

If I think the wax looks a bit dull and without that nice waxy smell when I come to put the frames into the boxes I give them a quick flash over with the blow torch that I use for lighting my smoker. I've never had a problem with acceptance since I started doing this.
Never had any problems with acceptance without doing it

Never had any problems with acceptance without doing it
I'm sure you're right JBM but it gives me peace of mind. It's a bit like the "No Elephants Allowed" sign on my gate. I've never been troubled by them since I put it up. 🙂

I'm sure you're right JBM but it gives me peace of mind. It's a bit like the "No Elephants Allowed" sign on my gate. I've never been troubled by them since I put it up. 🙂
That's probably because they're hiding up in the trees - elephants are good climbers you know, and experts at camouflage

That's probably because they're hiding up in the trees - elephants are good climbers you know, and experts at camouflage
I think it's unlikely they are up the trees as the only trees in the garden are 5' espaliers but I'm concerned just in case they can disguise themselves as sheds!

Everybody has their preferences...some of them dearly held and often the exact opposite of the way other folk do it. Its only wrong if it is wrong for you.

Castellations? Never use them and would rip them out if in any boxes as they slow down manipulations and you cannot slide the frames across without moving every single one of them.

Spacings? The standard UK spacing was changed many years ago from frames fitting 11 Hoffmans in a Smith/National brood box to one in which 12 fit. Our historic unit came from the early 1950's and was all 11 frame. We have stayed with that spacing right up to today so get our frames specially made. The world neither started nor ends with 'Thornes standard' which seems, especially in amateur circles, to be seen as the only proper frames. There are many makers, and all are subtly different unless they are simply Thornes copies. The illustrations earlier in the thread illustrates one point well. British frames are frail creatures, and the thin bottom bars are a particular example...and some other makers now work with thicker wider bottom bars that are less fragile. They could be far more robust at little extra cost (we have gone that way in our business) but that does not suit everyone.

Dummy boards? We do not have a single dummy board in our entire business. Bonfire fodder in my opinion, and indeed when we took over the unit of another outfit that was exactly the fate of around 2500 cedar (and no doubt expensive) dummy boards. Gives you that bit more time before swarming happens, averaging (between our various hive types) 10% more brood area before congestion sets in. Queen rolling is an out and out rarity Damage to the queen (whilst still very rare) is most commonly caused by inaccurate lifting out of the frames and the queen has been on the side bar and gets nipped.

We do what we do...others do what they do. Don't quite get the zeal to convert others. Our craft/trade is plagued by such people......and I do not use that word lightly.

On the subject of elephants........one of my staff told me this story about elephants.
She asked how you would know if elephants had been having sex in your garden? It is if you wake up in the morning and the lawn is a muddy mess, the rose bushes are all broken and trampled, and the bin bag is missing.

Off to wax frames all day...

Latest posts

Back