Bought in sugar syrup, how long will it keep if unopened.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charentejohn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Just a general question,do I keep this or give it away.
Made up of Glucose : 35%, Fructose 25%, Maltose 20,5% (so it says).

They seem to vary a bit but say 12 months storage out of the heat and sun.
Just checking, I was due some bees but delayed so I am leaving it till next spring. I bought this in anticipation of their arrival, now delayed 9-10 months so a bit borderline.

I have never used it before and the general advice seems to be if it clear and doesen't smell it is ok. I also read if it is a bit cloudy / becoming solid then re heating to 40-50c will revive it.

Any advice apprciated, it is unopened so no extra air or dirt inside. If there is a risk of it becoming unusable then I will pass it on to someone else.

Personally I would keep it until it goes mouldy if it ever does!
E

If kept sealed airtight it will keep for ever, just like honey.
Once opened it's a different matter, airborne wild yeasts will eventually cause fermentation.

Last edited:
If you are really worried about it going off, you could make up some Thymol mix to add to the invert, we add some to any feed we give them as it is supposed to help against nosema and varoa.
Hivemakers Thymol mix

Thanks, I guessed it would be ok but wanted to hear people with experience say the words :)
I didn't want to waste it but should be fine in the cool dark place it is now until next spring.

I did make some by hand and not really a problem, just quantity really. This stuff here in France is apparently a strong mix. Someone recommended always cutting with 1/3 water before use, at which point the mixed stuff does only last a few days.
This can (13L) should do me for the start of next year, anticipating a 3 frame coverd Nuc and a package for 2 hive next spring.

Thanks, I guessed it would be ok but wanted to hear people with experience say the words :)
I didn't want to waste it but should be fine in the cool dark place it is now until next spring.

I did make some by hand and not really a problem, just quantity really. This stuff here in France is apparently a strong mix. Someone recommended always cutting with 1/3 water before use, at which point the mixed stuff does only last a few days.
This can (13L) should do me for the start of next year, anticipating a 3 frame coverd Nuc and a package for 2 hive next spring.

It's invert syrup, it's meant to be thick, it doesn't need watering down. If you keep it as it is it will not ferment, it will not go mouldy, it doesn't need to be mucked about with.
I have half empty cans of invert left at out apiaries from one season to the next, never fermented or gone mouldy and fine to use.

Good point. I have never used this but on sugar syrup in general I did read that 'neat' is best. The idea is that in order to use it or store it they need to remove any water, so the more sugars the better. Just saves them work.

I will try neat when I do as I can dilute as I use it later if it helps.

Latest posts

Back