Bottom bee space national, which way up for floor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

In my trilogy of questions entitled "going against the Grain", my last is reference to national floors utilising bottom bee space.

Which way up do you use the floors?

Expanding on this, the way in convention the floor is shown is using it with the deep sides up i.e largest gap from floor to base of frame.

But does this not increase the bee space, encouraging them to built brace comb? Therefore is it best to use it on the thin side (closer to the base of the frames)

Jim

These floors have invented so many tens of times as far as I have nursed bees. :)

The bottom does not gather honey. It is my advice.

My floors are sloping solid floors, and are reversible,so does not matter which way up or down they are,its the same. I believe some of the floors with different width entrances is to use the narrow side in winter,acts as mouse guard.

Last edited:
Hi Jim

I was lead to understand that the deeper side of the floor is used when drawing out new brood comb, so that the bees are more likely to draw the whole comb out without cutting holes in the bottom (robbing bits of the foundation).

Then, once your combs are fully drawn you should flip the floor over to reduce the bottom space, so discouraging brace comb.

Peter
Cambridge UK

I genetared a bottom, where I can change the mesh or board. However I abandoned the mesh for its big winter food consumtion.

I plane away the corner of ply board so it makes grooves along walls for condensation water. It works well.

Even if I have polyhives, I use wooden bottoms that I can clean them with torsh.

Floors go on the bottom. Roof on the top.

:boxing_smiley:

W

Latest posts

Back