Borage for game strips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve's bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been talking to the farmer where I have some of my bees about what to plant in some game strips. There is 4-6 acres so I was thinking about Borage to fill That June/July period.
Does any one know where I can buy bulk borage seed from and am I right thinking I can put 2 hive per acre.

Steve

I just got 15,000 seeds for under a £10. I have sent a PM with the details

What do you do with these seeds,just start chucking them over the field lol

Cotswold seeds on Need Advice? 01608 652552

They do Borage and many others

By the Kg and plenty of advice buy £50 + free delivery

and best for cover is Melilot and Chicory - bees like them.

Get him to plant 10 acres of Sainfoin - good for cattle and horse hay but ensure they let it flower first - for the bees to enjoy!

Last edited:
How many hive would you advise per acre?
When borage was grown around here the consultants preferred 2 hives/acre to get max pollination. Beekeepers preferred 1/acre max nectar yield per hive. Depends what else is available I guess.

I would think borage would easily support 2 hives per acre. One has to remember, though, that they would be moved as the blooms emerge and removed very shortly after the flow has gone over.

It may depend on whether the beek wants the maximum from each colony or the maximum from the crop. It might also depend on the strength of the colonies. I remember more than a dozen hives dotted around a barely 5 acre patch, but they were not there for very long..... Modern varieties are likely blooming over a very much more defined time, so should support more than historically reported. Perhaps ITLD would know a little more about borage. I got the impression that the beek was following the borage for the crop, but maybe pollination was an issue, too.

RAB

Latest posts

Back