Books about bees for an eight year old

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiarisnt

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The eight year old son of a friend of mine has shown an informed interest in bees. He told me about bees and nectar (so I told him about bees and pollen). He was quite excited to be able to look though the Perspex crown boards at a couple of colonies. Once my ribes sanguineum tells me that I am allowed to inspect my bees I will bring him along to see for himself.

Meanwhile, from your experience what children's book on bees or on beekeeping would you suggest I buy him?

Give thornes or northern bee books a call and ask if there are any specific kids books, there are some adult aimed books that would more than likely be better for a kid!!!!. I think youve already seen though hes interested in getting involved so perhaps more the practical side and give him the books to browse. My mother started when i was 10 and i wanted a hive so 2 were purchased, 3yrs later she developed an allergy and i was told the bees had to go and at that point we had 10 hives. I turned around and said i would look after them and did, I think to their surprise. Women and alcohol took over in my early twenties:reddevil: Good luck

Give thornes or northern bee books a call and ask if there are any specific kids books,

I will look over their stands and ask them at Beetradex next week. I suspect that a children's book from them will be one of my cheapest purchases that day...

Its little things like turning finding the queen into a game and once they get the hang of it they often out preform the adults........ and take great delight doing so!!!

This one's good for children of all ages

9780500650950.jpg

Cut the crap BF..........Dont encourage kids to play with matches:sifone:

Similar problem / opportunity again. The seven year old, fearsomely intelligent, grandaughter of a friend of mine has been showing interest in bees and beekeeping. As she lives the other side of the country and it is now Septemeber, there is little point in dragging her over here just to see feeding (Mind you, watching me with my Sublimox might put her off...) So as last time, ribes sanguineum will be the sign for her to come over next year. Meanwhile, that inquisitve brain needs something to read.

The Piotra Sorcha 'Book of Bees' is an excellent little tome, and I gave one to a five year old a couple of years back, but this young lady is beyond that.

Does anybody have any experience of any of the chlidrens' books offered by Northern Bee Books: Children's Books ? I am wary of the American ones (Shope and Fatigati), perhaps unjustifiably so. How about Slade's 'So you want to be a Beekeeper?' - has anyone read a copy?

Ideas welcome.

How about the posters that Thorne's sell?

The eight year old son of a friend of mine has shown an informed interest in bees. He told me about bees and nectar (so I told him about bees and pollen). He was quite excited to be able to look though the Perspex crown boards at a couple of colonies. Once my ribes sanguineum tells me that I am allowed to inspect my bees I will bring him along to see for himself.

Meanwhile, from your experience what children's book on bees or on beekeeping would you suggest I buy him?
I'd show him a good documentary on bees then buy him a book

Take a look at Maddie Moate's site:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmTANLv-GyXXqmwkIkdXcNYoY6Sy1t0Pg

Many thanks for this, I had not been aware of it. It is great that Maddie (and her mum) use British kit (so friend's granddaughter should recognise the Brit Nats) and European methods, (so not accepting the colony loss levels that prevail in the US as normal). It will also be a good introduction to the idea that if you have two beekeepers you have three opinions.

For instance I started watching: 'Whats inside a beehive? | Beekeeping with Maddie #2'. When said friend's granddaughter does eventually come and visit I will discourage the wearing of an inflammable veil whilst leaning over a smoker to light it. I will also explain why I never use leather gloves.

I think I will order a couple of the books off the Northern Bee Books childrens' page anyway. It will give me a chance to read them, not only to assess them but also because I might well learn something. If they are any good I will send them on to the friend's granddaughter ( and if they are very good I will order another copy for myself). I will also point her in the direction of the Maddie Moate videos - caveated with not to believe everything you see online, which is a good principle for life anyway

There is a ladybird book on beekeeping. Probably only available secondhand not, but pretty good. We recommend it even for adults who are slightly interested, but don't necessarily want to wade through more detail. The only thing is, it does not cover at all pests and diseases, especially varroa.

86B72E06-84EB-45AE-9F93-D6472E220F13.jpeg

Latest posts

Back