bookers sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
does anyone know how much do they ask for 25kg bag ?

Cheers,
Lauri

Hi Lauri

When I bought some in July it was £13.69/25kg but sugar prices can fluctuate a lot

regards

Borderer

Hi Lauri

When I bought some in July it was £13.69/25kg but sugar prices can fluctuate a lot

regards

Borderer
Same price as my local supermarket charges for it in 1kg bags..

54 pence a kilo Dishmop ?

Yep, last time I looked.

Must be a loss leader.... Handy for me as its next to the post office and I go there 3 or 4 times a week, so dont have to make special trip just to get sugar...

Bookers is about 5 mile away and a 25kg bag would be too much for me even tho I have it in my tea....

Shall I email you some???bee-smillie:rofl:

Bookers is about 5 mile away and a 25kg bag would be too much for me even tho I have it in my tea....

Ha ha , , , How many colonies are you hoping to take into the winter in 2011 at between 10kg to 15kg apiece as winter syrup. Scaling up has a magical effect on sugar volumes and cash required.

Assuming that you are at all serious about producing honey, then you will be taking stores from the brood box and will of course be replacing it with syrup and the bees need around 40lbs of stores for the winter. of course if you happen to be running 14x12, then there is more room available for the bees to pack it in.

The price of honey versus the price of sugar syrup is the determinator. Mr Gale harvested the brood box when his empire was the household name for honey in the UK, so please don't tell me that you are in it "just for the bees", because I'll probably die laughing. :rofl:

I can't afford to take sugar in my tea, the bees want it all :)

Ha ha , , , How many colonies are you hoping to take into the winter in 2011 at between 10kg to 15kg apiece as winter syrup. Scaling up has a magical effect on sugar volumes and cash required.
Two.

Assuming that you are at all serious about producing honey, then you will be taking stores from the brood box and will of course be replacing it with syrup and the bees need around 40lbs of stores for the winter. of course if you happen to be running 14x12, then there is more room available for the bees to pack it in.

Cannot speak for others but for me, No, No & No.

The price of honey versus the price of sugar syrup is the determinator. Mr Gale harvested the brood box when his empire was the household name for honey in the UK, so please don't tell me that you are in it "just for the bees", because I'll probably die laughing.

If I wanted to make money from honey I'd just buy it from a wholesaler and advertise it on ebay..

"just for the bees"

and why not? Not everybody is money motivated. You might die laughing but more than likely it will be from all the stress of worrying because you couldnt steal as much honey as you hoped to....

I retired early so I could relax......

I have a feeling that it was £14.99 in our Bookers! I will check on this Forum next year before I go in. Do Bookers do local pricing?

I buy it and offer 60% syrup ad lib once I have taken the honey off in August. If the bees have plenty of nectar they do not seem bothered, but uptake rockets in bad weather.

Himalayan Balsam is great. When it's nectar flow is on, the bees much prefer it to syrup, but I have a feeling that it's flow is a bit variable in September and October.

Checked my fondant levels yesterday. Most hives ignoring it but one already half way through it.

You can rely on bees all being different!

Sugar is treated like bread, milk and bananas by food retailers. So it is often found in stores at prices which are less than wholesale prices. Prices also vary seasonly depending on supply.

Bookers have an agreement wiht the BBKA whick allows members to access Booker Cash and Carry on production of a BBKA membership card. Normally you have to prove you were in the catering trade.

For those who need smaller quantities Bookers offer 15kg, 5 Kg and 1kg options

But is still worth shopping around

Regards

Borderer

5kg in Bookers is 47.65 per pound.

Price is today, 18th Dec and 5kg is the biggest bag for sale.

PH

Price is today, 18th Dec and 5kg is the biggest bag for sale.

PH

Bought mine from bookers 53p per kg, much cheaper :)

Sold in 15 x 1 kg packs .£7.99
I queried the 5 kg price and was told it was an unpopular retail item and ergo wouldn't fly off the shelves as do 1 kgs :)

John Wilkinson

When you do go to get your sugar from Bookers, take your BBKA card with you.
Our local Bookers give a discount to Beekeepers buying bulk sugar (25 kilo sacks)

Shhh!!!! Semi-converted.. but still mixed up...

Nearly as good as Miles per Litre...

Our local Bookers give a discount to Beekeepers buying bulk sugar (25 kilo sacks)
They all do (arranged by some one from the other side; Not BBKA Enterprises ) however only the bigger branches carry the 25 kilo sacks ;)

John Wilkinson

What discount does your local Bookers give on a 25kg bag?

Bookers have an agreement wiht the BBKA whick allows members to access Booker Cash and Carry on production of a BBKA membership card.

Borderer

Not true,it was more propaganda put out by the BBKA"Look what we have organised for our members".

The guy who was kind enough to sort out the deal with Bookers is a member of this forum and did it for everyone.

It is open to all Beekeepers in the uk,BBKA member or not.

IIRC Netto are 68p/kg or 2 for a £1 this weekend?
Also Tesco recently had 15kgs at £8.

Back