Bookers and Bakers fondant.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I buttonholed the manager at the Derby Bookers today and asked if he knew about the Beekeepers deal for suger and yes he did.

Ok says I but you are missing a trick and that is bakers fondant. His eyes lit up... and after explaining why we use it he said he would contact the manager responsible for line management. (to you and I products)

Can I ask those who go to Bookers to do the same (it needs a management person) and with luck they will also stock Fondant for us. After all they want to make money. ;)

PH

Dont forget there are many other places than bookers to get sugar and fondant, who will equaly and often give more if you just mention bees.

e.g east Yorkshire http://www.shepcote.co.uk/ or your local bakers

What needs to be tackled is the source of the sugar...i.e British Sugar Newark for example.

I used to work there about 7 years ago, and the amount of sugar wasted but more than OK for bees was massive.

If I was local or the journey/volume justified that would be my port of call:coolgleamA:

not technicaly waste as in land fill, lots recyled and recenlty biiethanol has taken off with he wash water so guess will add to that.

Point is get to the source rather than third hand

also might be a viable sponser for bees?

I tried dealing direct with british sugar,they would supply a little bit cheaper by the ton....but only any real difference if one was to order 100,000 tons,and as regards waste sugar,dirty ect, i was told that there was no such thing as it was all put back to be refined again. Shops and supermarkets would supply cheap sugar that was shop soiled (split bags ect), years ago,but now the one's i have contacted say that it all gets swept up, and sent back to the refinery.
Maybe different if you worked for BS though...free sugar perks.

yes free sugar, a reason i got into beekeeping but then moved on.

A lot depends who you know not what...might meen a night meeting in a car park too get a load!?

British sugar and bee sponsorship possibly shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Apart from the profit for bee feeds, which they obviously accrue indirectly, nothing for the bees, apart from the neonicotinoids (used to treat nearly all(?) beet seed), which can remain in the soil for possibly another two years or more.

Of course, the seed dressings' regime could change. That would make a difference, if it were for the better....

Regards, RAB

steady on, it was a sacastic coment!

Clean pure sugar, yum! If did not see the sign saying british sugar, when inside the plant would struggle to work out it is a sugar plant with all the chemcials about...and as for the smell you strugle to wash it off, like a boiled rotten cabage.

Las my fist post and hm said, shop split bags etc are a good option

Last edited:
BS also import raw organic sugar cane,so i have just seen in the google world,plus grow some organic beet,started back in 2000.

Latest posts

Back