Boiling & Steaming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewin Dwl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just inheritted a load of brood boxes & supers. All required dismantling to remove wax-moth cocoons and scrub off the dirt. I like to expose all the nooks and crannies before commissioning the 'new' parts. I also scraped off propolis and wax and scrubbed all surfaces clean with Jayes fluid solution.

I'm now considering putting the parts in a drum of boiling water for about 15 to 30mins before reassembling. I reckon the wood wouldn't degrade, though may be a little rubbery until it has cooled-off. Would boiling the woodwork kill off all the nasty viruses and bacteria we worry about? Or is the Jayes fluid treatment sufficient??

Would adding salt or washing-soda increase the effectiveness of boiling? (Clearly a good freshwater rinse needed afetrwards)

Would steaming be as effective if >80degsC can be sustained??

I suppose I'm looking for a backyard non-technical-chemical solution to hive hygene.

All advice welcome.

I prefer to scrap off all the wax and propolis then use a gas burner and scorch all the internal woodwork then refit the frame runners but others say boiling in hot water is just as affective.

I think the jeyes fluid would kill off most things including the bees.

Now you have me worried!
The Jeyes is used very dilute and the wood is thoroughly washed off afterwards. It is then left to dry before use, slight residual smell of JF.

Am I poisoning my bees?

Now you have me worried!
The Jeyes is used very dilute and the wood is thoroughly washed off afterwards. It is then left to dry before use, slight residual smell of JF.

Am I poisoning my bees?

I boil mine up in washing soda. It really gets 'em nice and clean. Worth the effort, particularly with old frames.

Adam

Cheers everyone. I spoke to Jeyes Fluids boffin. Its a disinfectant and although not tested he couldn't see it acting as an insecticide. Proof of the pudding was last night, hive cleaned in this way checked and going great, boiling over with happy bees. Phew!

Adam, have got a five gallon drum and a barbecue so tonight will be boiling old frames as your recipe! (Pity the neighbours)

Did you ask if jeyes fluid is food safe?:ack2:

Hope the honey don't smell of Jeyes.

The washing up liquid stops it all becoming scummy :) It makes a lot of difference and much nicer when using washing soda in a bucket for hive tools etc too.

Just inheritted a load of brood boxes & supers.

I think all have missed thmain point here.

IF there is any chance3 that the kit may have been infected with AFB, burn it!

That means destroy the frames and well-scorch the boxes, AFB is resistant to most treatments (disinfectants) and at higher temperatures than 100 degrees, remains viable for many years (several decades).

It is the only disease which will be there if these boxes are really old, I would say, but not worth the risk of future AFB infection.

Cleaning your own kit, of known provenance, is entirely another matter.

Regards, RAB

Hi Guys

What about scraping frames clean, then Baking in a preheated oven for a short time??

I am scraping a few clean now, and am thinking of a way to clean them without going to get some gas!

Cheers
Pete

Really washing soda is just fine. You can also add a dash of bleach. I've not heard of the washing up liquid. I may give that a try also.

Adam

On the washing soda point, how strong is it needed for this and washing hive tools etc.

On the washing soda point, how strong is it needed for this and washing hive tools etc.

Just follow instructions on the packet. It's cheap 75p per packet. I think when I boil up (which is about 160 liters) I chuck in about 5 packets. Then again, I clean large amounts of stuff. For a small boiler a couple of packets would probably suffice. I just pour about 1/4 packet into a bucket for hive tools etc, and leave the tools in permanently between inspections. When I do lift them out, the propolis just washes off like butter. Works a treat even though it's cold.

Adam

Latest posts

Back