Blowtorch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Ok sorry bit of a naff one, but i have a good number of hives i need to run a flame over and the last couple of blowtorches i have had have both been really naff, not much of a flame and faulty valves.

Admittedly they were cheapies about £15 a go, one form B&Q and another from local hardware shop, but i get through a number of these cheap ones in a season so i may as well get a better one.

Can anyone recommend a retailer or a torch which works well every time and for a long time ??

Thanks

Thornes do one called a BULLFINCH its great,
I had the same problem not always cheap but always useless...............

I am sure you can get the Bullfinch ones form plumbers merchants

Dean

I've just recently purchased a GoGas blowtorch from my local DIY store (but they're available in all sorts of places, including www.screwfix.com). It was about £22 including a small cylinder of butane/propane, has push-button ignition and generates a very even flame. If you let it settle down for about 30-60 seconds it can be used inverted with no flaring. Recommended.

Hi

If you have a few hives get yourself one of these, cheaper models are around.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=88505

So much quicker than those canister torch combos.

Pete: I was looking at yours trying to figure price difference, has it got an adjustable regulator?

Regards Ian

Last edited:
Yes Ian,but that is much newer than the blowtorch,and i use the 4.5 kg calor gas bottles.

you can put the lot on ebay. bloody pain carrying a 4.5kg cylinder around
allday.

I use and it gets some stick one of these

http://www.tradecounterdirect.com/p...=102&cat=SOLDERING / BRAZING: Blow Torch&pg=1

use with the yellow gas cylinders for max heat output.

click it on, heat, turn it off. no wasted gas.

if you need any think hotter, I've a oxy/acetalye torch

They are about £50 but profesional speaking it's now't a bit more than a none
profesional would want to pay but value for money none the less.
only think I would say is it needs a spreader of some form.

a quick p s to my previouse post

turn it off after use, cos when your loading it into the van and
you hear it go click it's to late to think should have turned it off.

all you have to look foreward to is a fryed arm pit.

I've just recently purchased a GoGas blowtorch from my local DIY store (but they're available in all sorts of places, including www.screwfix.com). It was about £22 including a small cylinder of butane/propane, has push-button ignition and generates a very even flame. If you let it settle down for about 30-60 seconds it can be used inverted with no flaring. Recommended.

:iagree: these blowtorches are good, also the have a safety device, if they are knocked over the flame goes out :)

Hi

If you have a few hives get yourself one of these, cheaper models are around.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=88505

Regards Ian

Agreed, bought a similar one from our local Ag supplies over the weekend, have always used a smaller bullfinch with canister attached but swapped to bigger head attached to a 4.5kg cylinder, so glad i did, so much quicker and easier you can really get things :sifone:

C B

you can put the lot on ebay. bloody pain carrying a 4.5kg cylinder around
allday.

Plumber, we tend to bring the hive parts to be scorced to one place,not carry the cylinder around all day long,athough you could if you wished i suppose as its not extreme weight, so still has portability. How long do your gas cylinders last if say you have a large amount of scorching to do over several days,4.5 kg last quite a while,don't think i would be taking your, suggestion of putting it on e bay for a smaller model of blowtorch....lol.
Also the separate torch is very light to use for longer periods, as its not attached to the intigrated cylinder,also are these very small cylinders returned for refilling,or just another piece of rubbish to get rid of.
Ideal i suppose to just scorch a few box's though,once in a blue moon.

Last edited:
From my point of view luging a dumpy gas cylinder a round is a pain there ok
in a fixed situation and if they have pilot flame as I have on my larger kit.
but for pure portabilty the instant ignition and off when finished is a thing I
would not do without.

when scorching do you use a fan nozzle to get into the corners.
the ones I have give a flater flame like a brush insted of a round flame.

Thanks for the posts everyone, very informative and very useful.

Decisions, Decisions

Latest posts

Back