Blower

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
If anyone is looking to buy a small portable blower,then the Makita BHX2500 4 Stroke Petrol blower is very effective,and not to heavy or noisy.
Just redistributed a box of laying workers over a wide area with one,cleared them out at 145 mph.

If anyone is looking to buy a small portable blower,then the Makita BHX2500 4 Stroke Petrol blower is very effective,and not to heavy or noisy.
Just redistributed a box of laying workers over a wide area with one,cleared them out at 145 mph.

took your advice and got a second hand one, will let you know how I get on with it next week

like the laying workers redistribution approach too lol

There is a BHX2500 on fleebay at the moment for sale could be a bargain if your prepared to strip it down and fix the fault with it.

Item number: 150635511134

petrol blower

I got the mc culloch last year its rubbish i can fart harder than it can blow. I guess get what you pay for.

Blowers are the quickest way of clearing supers in an apiary, just have to be quick in getting the supers undercover. New beekeepers shouldn't be worried about killing some of the old foragers they will be dead in a few weeks anyway, concentrate on getting a good population of young bees to take the colony through the winter.

New beekeepers shouldn't be worried about killing some of the old foragers they will be dead in a few weeks anyway, .

You don't get foragers in the supers, at least when the weather is good enough for foraging. Foragers come just inside the hive and offload their nectar to the house bees.

You don't get foragers in the supers, at least when the weather is good enough for foraging. Foragers come just inside the hive and offload their nectar to the house bees.

Yes you are correct however I'm clearing supers at the end of the year when there is a large population of old bees in the supers and B.B. I'm therefore not to worried about losing some of these.

Never really noticed many bees getting lost....they fly or walk back into the hive.......not off over the horizon to some distant land.

Technique

Thinking of getting a blower for next year, got to be easyer.

What is your way of doing it ?..

stand on end and blow. blow um down on to the ground. etc

thanks for input

Mik

I did a very nice job yesterday of increasing a week nuc by putting a full super on the roof and blowing the bees out.

Having not flown before they all entered the nuc with a bellyfull of honey...

Thinking of getting a blower for next year, got to be easyer.

What is your way of doing it ?..

stand on end and blow. blow um down on to the ground. etc

thanks for input

Mik

I use a B & D Workmate. It provides a flat surface and lifts the super up to a convenient hight. Stand the super on its edge with the frames vertical and blow on the underside of the frames.

I find they don't all come out if blown from one direction as some tend to cling on at the far side out of the way of the air stream so a quick blast across the top of the frames also helps.

Make sure you blow the bees in a direction where they are not going to come back where you are standing to reach the hive, i.e. don't blow them directly away from the hive.

Finally, all garden blowers I know duct the exhaust gases into the air stream. This is fine for blowing leaves but especialy with two strokes does tend to cover the combs with oil - not ideal.

I modified mine so the exhaust comes out of the side.

The problem will be less with 4 strokes but I would be still be reluctant to blow exhaust gases over my honey. It won't make any difference if the comb is capped unless you are going to throw away the cappings.

Interesting thread folks. I didn't know about the blower technique for clearing supers. What's wrong with clear boards?

What's wrong with clear boards?

Nothing - as long as you have the time and enough clearer boards?

Oh, and if the porter bee escapes work properly.

RAB

What's wrong with clear boards?

Nothing - as long as you have the time and enough clearer boards?

Oh, and if the porter bee escapes work properly.

RAB
Still use porter bee escapes in dedicated clearing boards :), three per board with initials branded around edge of boards so a quick check before leaving apiary will ease my concerns as to whether or not I've put them on the correct way up :blush5: !
VM (It's an age thing :gnorsi:)

will ease my concerns as to whether or not I've put them on the correct way up !

BTDT. Just remember to check the actual escapes are fitted the right way in the board, too!

RAB

will ease my concerns as to whether or not I've put them on the correct way up !

BTDT. Just remember to check the actual escapes are fitted the right way in the board, too!

RAB
Goes without saying :) .Checked at leisure ;)
VM

Hi there.

I also find this a funny thread to be honest.

I am a weekend beek and need to travel 30km to get to my apiaries. But apart from the few commercial beeks that really have no time to mess about because of the sheer amount of hives they have, most of us have less than 20 colonies if I am not mistaken.
Bee keeping is supposed to be relaxing. Take your time. It shouldn't be something that you limit to an hour a week during the season and that's it. If more things need to be done we just cram them in that hour....need to get back indoors quickly before "Home and Away" starts?
Why keep bees if you haven't got 5-10 mins. per hive per year to clear the supers manually?
You buy machines to save yourselves 3 hours of work with your bees per year?

Take a frame and hold it over the brood box and give the back of your holding hand a healthy knock with the other and most of the bees will drop from the frame and run off into the brood box. The few that are left can be brushed into the brood box with a winged feather.
All you need is a spare super to put the frames into. Simple. 20 seconds per frame - a super should be done in 3-4 mins.

Plus, a little bit of manual labour in bee keeping lets you appreciate your products more.

So what I am saying is - if your not a professional beek - don't bother with a blower!

Just my humble thoughts to that topic. :rant:

Greets
Phil

Last edited:
I agree with rooftops, check where the exhaust exits especially two stroke engines models. HM MK1 stand was not correct angle or height Mk 2 in manufacture.
kev

Back