Blackberry honey conserve

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Has anyone got a recipe please. I have lots of blackberries picked and lots of honey from the capping drainings. i was hoping to do one without added sugar?

I just experimented with a honey blackberry jelly...I don't like all the pips in a jam so strain the fruit. I kg juice to 750g sugar.Makes a soft jelly
It doesn't work with all honey.
I will try half sugar half honey. You don't need any extra pectin so leave out any lemons and use ordinary sugar.
Will report back

The berries have still a long way to go to ripen in my garden, then the bramble get's ripped out.

Hombre, they are talking currrents not berrys / brambles

We have been given 6 lb of current so shouted JBM's recipe over to SWMBO

Colin

Hombre, they are talking currrents not berrys / brambles

We have been given 6 lb of current so shouted JBM's recipe over to SWMBO

Colin

I found that the currants stayed intact so i had a jar of whole currants in a sort of honey/curranty soft jelly, I'd made sure the skins were soft though before bringing up to setting heat - you could always boil for longer to get them to break up more if you like

OK having returned to the drawing board I used this recipe from Hugh FW

At least 1kg blackberries, washed

Granulated sugar/honey

Put the berries in a large, heavy pan, along with just enough water to get the juices running (a couple of centimetres in the base of the pan should do it). Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally and crushing the fruit against the side of the pan, until the berries are collapsed and have given up all their juice.

Transfer to a jelly bag suspended over a bowl (or strain through a colander lined with a couple of layers of muslin). Leave the juice to drain through overnight. If you want a crystal-clear jelly, let the juices drip of their own accord. However, if you want to maximise the yield, give the bag a bit of a squeeze to get out the last drops of juice. Your jelly will cloud a little

Measure the juice, then transfer to a clean pan along with 375g sugar 375g honey for every litre of juice. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then boil, skimming if necessary, until you reach the setting point for jelly - this can be measured at 105C on a sugar thermometer; alternatively, test by dropping half a teaspoon of the mixture on to a cold plate, wait for a few seconds until it is cool, then give it a prod with your finger: if the jelly is ready, the top of the blob should crinkle, and if you separate the blob with the end of a spoon, the two halves should not run together.

As soon as setting point is reached, remove the pan from the heat and pour the jelly into warm, sterilised jars.

Nice soft jelly with a lovely colour.
Glooped some on some ice cream fro the grandchildren....Yummy!!

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. I like the bits of fruit and pips, so think I will try 1kg of blackberries to 1kg of honey/sugar 50:50 mix. i wonder if all the pips will float on the surface. Hope not. I'll let you know.

Is there not some regulation on heating honey beyond a certain point because of chemical changes and concern over dangerous levels of a certain chemical ( is it IMF or something similar) all my bee books are downstairs.

If you heat honey it hastens the production of HMF (Hydroxymethylfurfuraldehyde??) . It doesn't matter if jam has this in it, but by law there is a limit on how much you can have in honey.

OK having returned to the drawing board I used this recipe from Hugh FW

At least 1kg blackberries, washed

Granulated sugar/honey

Put the berries in a large, heavy pan, along with just enough water to get the juices running (a couple of centimetres in the base of the pan should do it). Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally and crushing the fruit against the side of the pan, until the berries are collapsed and have given up all their juice.

Transfer to a jelly bag suspended over a bowl (or strain through a colander lined with a couple of layers of muslin). Leave the juice to drain through overnight. If you want a crystal-clear jelly, let the juices drip of their own accord. However, if you want to maximise the yield, give the bag a bit of a squeeze to get out the last drops of juice. Your jelly will cloud a little

Measure the juice, then transfer to a clean pan along with 375g sugar 375g honey for every litre of juice. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then boil, skimming if necessary, until you reach the setting point for jelly - this can be measured at 105C on a sugar thermometer; alternatively, test by dropping half a teaspoon of the mixture on to a cold plate, wait for a few seconds until it is cool, then give it a prod with your finger: if the jelly is ready, the top of the blob should crinkle, and if you separate the blob with the end of a spoon, the two halves should not run together.

As soon as setting point is reached, remove the pan from the heat and pour the jelly into warm, sterilised jars.

Nice soft jelly with a lovely colour.
Glooped some on some ice cream fro the grandchildren....Yummy!!

i've just made some of this - hope it sets! It certainly looks lovely in the jars :)

If you heat honey it hastens the production of HMF (Hydroxymethylfurfuraldehyde??) . It doesn't matter if jam has this in it, but by law there is a limit on how much you can have in honey.

HMffffff. Surely there has to be a reason for the regulation. I will try to find it.
Later
Basis for regs seems to be the change in sugars that define honey or not honey.
I have looked online for effects of HMF on Humans but nothing came up of note. That may be because the PHD research funding is going into other things thought to be more important.

We went to collect some blackberries two weeks ago to a place where there are always masses of them.........

bloody farmer had cut all the hedges back.........

Has anyone got a recipe please. I have lots of blackberries picked and lots of honey from the capping drainings. i was hoping to do one without added sugar?

No jam means it will rot and quick. You could freeze it and use it over ice cream (we've been doing that a lot).

All I do is put the blackberries in a pan to stew with a little liquid to stop the bottom catching (usually a tablespoon or two of orange juice) and add a table spoon of sugar (could use sweetener or honey).

Bring to boil, sieve and put in tubs. YUM YUM

It might be prone to fermenting, but all the regulations about HMF have to do with honey for sale and perhaps given away, but certainly not for personal consumption.

Without added sugar is a bit of a mute point, given the make-up of honey, but I know at least what you mean.

So how did it all turn out? Jenks did give us his feedback . . . I think that it translated as . . . burp :)

I can confirm that JBM's jam was truly fantastic

I made jelly to Erichalfbees recipe and my husband said it was the nicest jam he'd ever had. I didn't even have to twist his arm.

Latest posts

Back