Biscuit joiner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All, making a few more 14x12 hives this winter and as we know it requires 2 boards to be joined as 121/2 inch planks are hard to come by and currently use T&G boards glued together successively with no opening joint over 3 years but they work out expensive so i was thinking of joining plain planks with biscuits so what's the best value joiner to buy and do the joints open with time ?

Gone through a couple in my time and still have an Elu on the go but it has been repaired and the Dewalt equivalent is expensive. I have seen a few cheap ones on the market but have no experience on how good they are.

You can get router bits that apparently cut the grooves for the biscuits again I have no experience on how good or bad they are but just want to pass on the info.

Alternatively providing the edges of the boards are a good join a straight butt joint and glue clamped over night with a good water resistant glue will be very strong but a couple of biscuits will make it very strong.

Never used biscuits. Always routed a near full-length groove in both boards, and using a ply strip as supporting/positioning/reinforcing, glued the boards together.

I wouldn't get a biscuit jointer just for this. A plain joint will be fine (as long as the glue is good), or if you have a router, one of those bits that corrugate the surfaces of the joint would a cheap way of improving it.

Never used biscuits. Always routed a near full-length groove in both boards, and using a ply strip as supporting/positioning/reinforcing, glued the boards together.
What thickness plywood strip do you use and how deep do you cut the groove

Another option is to joint boards by running them through a table saw at 45 degrees, if you use 3 you can arrange to avoid cupping, then glue and clamp together to make a panel, then trim to size

Or you could try either a lock mitre bit or a Reversible Glue Joint bit if you have a router.

I bought mine in Aldi recently for £30 but as yet unused, suspect some may still be around still as just earlier this year. Routers (and even saws) can certainly do a good job here but if you have a Triton then there is a biscuit joint accessory for the router table. If you are feeling flush the Festools are both excellent ;)

"as we know it requires 2 boards to be joined as 12 1/2 inch planks are hard to come by"

i was lucky last year and picked up some 6' x 13" x 1" red cedar boards from a fence maker on fleabay. Not bad a price either.

as we know it requires 2 boards to be joined as 121/2 inch planks are hard to come by

Try your friendly local saw mill as opposed to the DIY "Sheds" I have never had any trouble getting Cedar in 12"+ sizes from mine.

The pressure on the planks is downwards pushing them together not pulling them apart so no joint is necessary but the simplest routed joint would be safer.
E

My Freud jointer has been giving good service for years (touch wood)
Oh! of course it does.:icon_204-2:

The pressure on the planks is downwards pushing them together not pulling them apart so no joint is necessary but the simplest routed joint would be safer.
E

Its not about pressure but more to do with water ingress and expansion that splits joined boards.

I bought a cheap (less than £30) biscuit jointer years ago. with only 8 cuts per hive it will probably last longer than I will:cheers2:

I bought a cheap (less than £30) biscuit jointer years ago. with only 8 cuts per hive it will probably last longer than I will:cheers2:

I can't see what all the fuss is about.
I like broken biscuits.
:drool5:

yellow pine is available in 12x1 in any decent timber supplier

Latest posts

Back