Birds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Just a quickie, is anyone else having problems with birds? Been watching the webcam and a pesky blue tit is sitting on it and then flying down onto landing boards and picking off bees as they come out or when they come back and sit on the mouse guard! Really frustrating to see!

Just a quickie, is anyone else having problems with birds? Been watching the webcam and a pesky blue tit is sitting on it and then flying down onto landing boards and picking off bees as they come out or when they come back and sit on the mouse guard! Really frustrating to see!

Yes they are doing a really good job in general of cleaning up dead bees, they take a few live ones, but that is just nature, hornets etc take a lot more during the summer.

The hens have been sitting at the front of the hives picking bees off as they emerge this year. Placed wire frames in front of the landing boards to stop them. It seems to have done the trick.

Oh ok thanks! Seems to be the slow doddery ones that get got anyway... Interestingly there is grey pollen going in today, no idea what they have found.

Our bees support four colonies of house sparrows and a few tits .

I refused to put landing boards on my hives to stop this happening but the tits just cling onto the sides instead, interesting to watch them TAP the hive with their beaks until a bee comes out.

Quick learners tits!
Hide the BBKA course work from them or they'll be stealing match sticks !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick learners tits!
Hide the BBKA course work from them or they'll be stealing match sticks !
VM
Are you sure they wouldnt be
737606d1352946067-call-action-putting-value-into-rep-points-boobie_bird.jpg

I have a problem with Magpies catching bees on the landing board and their methods seems not to tap but walk around on the roof until a bee comes out to see what the noise is but no problem with Tits, i quite like to see them

"...no problem with tits; I quite like to see them"

In that case, you'll want to take part in the RSPB's Great Garden Birdwatch on 25 -26 January.

You can register for Big Garden Birdwatch - https://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/ - and you'll get £5 off your next purchase from the online shop or in our retail stores as a thank you from RSPB (offer runs until the 31 January 2014).

On the other hand, if you're not a birdwatcher, shame on you, this is a family forum.

CVB

Here we have a classic tit

Yeh ... he must be ... nobody in the background is rushing to quench the flames ... he's probably being followed by a hive full of bees after he banged on the lid ... forgot that he had his smoker between his legs and squashed it in fright !

Any other explanations ???

I love birds and have actively watched birds since I was 13 however I had to remove the feeders from my garden as they were bait for my cats but often watch red kites sparrow hawks and goshawks flying not far from away, also planted many trees and erected bird boxes in the Clydach bird reserve
http://www.rspb.org.uk/help/managecookies.aspx?ac=1

Back