Bird pecking at OMF

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biddly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I went to look at my two hives ( langstroths )this afternoon and as i neared one i saw a small bird under the hive, balanced on the ledge underneath the OMF pecking at the OMF. I put a board on the floor and laid down and peered at the OMF, there was a build up of alot ofdead bees directly under the cluster in the middle but the edges were clear and the mouseguard at the front is not blocked. Should i use an extendend coat hanger or the like to sweep the dead bees out ? Only the odd bee or two has been flying this week ( as expected in this weather ) and we are due possibly heavy snow this evening/tomorrow so the girls will not be attempting to clear the dead ones away. The other hives OMF was completely clear and i could see the cluster.Thank you for your help.This is my first winter with bees so a learning curve.

What kind of bird?

A few dead bees outside the out apiary WBCs yesterday a blackbird sized bird with reddish flanks.. ?? a red start? redwing?.. was hopping in and taking them!
wary of me!
Very much open coastal farmland in a shelterd inland spot about 158m above sealevel according to GPS

It was either a sparrow or a dunnock, it flew out from underneath as I got close.

Tits, you have to love those tits, they do more than you think could be possible...:)

Brian

think this confirms the thread on omf and bee bit under the hive is problalbly due to birds, maybe it is caused by the snow this year, or perhaps a learnt behaviour

i have wagtails doing it on one of my hives, making quite a noise as they sit under the hive then fly up to the omf

Tits, you have to love those tits, they do more than you think could be possible...:)

Brian

yes and i love them as well ;)

Last edited:

Brian

I've always loved tits. YOu've just got to admire them, haven't you?

Can't find the pic sadly but on Lindisfarne Island there was a nesting box on the side of a cottage clearly labelled:

Bra Cottage, Tits only!

;)

PH

I wonder if I am normal...
I love to watch the Long Tailed Tits...
but my baby son seems to have a distinct preferance for the Great Tits

You said it......got any pictures,they may be useful to form a diagnosis.;)

I love to watch the Long Tailed Tits...
but my baby son seems to have a distinct preferance for the Great Tits

You will soon revert to the originals. If I can remember that far back.......:drool5:
Regards

Latest posts

Back