Bird Flu UPDATES

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently...the restrictions are to stay until April...but I haven't read them yet.

Our vet says that the advice is to keep covered and inside until notification from DEFRA says otherwise.

Most of the UK is at risk... but some areas are at more risk than others

I would not want to be the one to have to destroy all my birds because I ignored the advice to keep inside and covered..... and let them out because I thought that I could make things up as I go along!

Yeghes da

Our vet says that the advice is to keep covered and inside until notification from DEFRA says otherwise.

Most of the UK is at risk... but some areas are at more risk than others

I would not want to be the one to have to destroy all my birds because I ignored the advice to keep inside and covered..... and let them out because I thought that I could make things up as I go along!

Yeghes da

I agree...ours are in but our neighbours are out every day. I met someone last night who also said their hens and ducks are out.....and many others also. What is the point of making these recommendations and restrictions if many people are flouting it!!!

What is the point of making these recommendations and restrictions if many people are flouting it!!!

So that DEFRA is seen to be doing something about it.
Commercial flocks I can understand but a few household chooks?
IF they lift the restrictions outside "high risk areas" on Feb 28th you still have to have the birds in an area that wild birds have no access to or have had no access to for the last 50 days (I might be wrong on that last bit)
What's the betting they make to restrictions permanent?

I agree...ours are in but our neighbours are out every day. I met someone last night who also said their hens and ducks are out.....and many others also. What is the point of making these recommendations and restrictions if many people are flouting it!!!

Too many parallels to beekeeping!:eek:

Nos da

Arrived home from work yesterday to find a pile of papers posted through the door detailing exactly what to do re bird flu. I'm in the 10 k zone for the latest outbreak in Suffolk. Everyone here is taking this very seriously.
Cazza

I read about that outbreak. Absolutely appalling for birds and farmer. It must break his heart.
How come these birds are getting infected despite being housed and protected by the recommended biosecurity?

So that DEFRA is seen to be doing something about it.
Commercial flocks I can understand but a few household chooks?
IF they lift the restrictions outside "high risk areas" on Feb 28th you still have to have the birds in an area that wild birds have no access to or have had no access to for the last 50 days (I might be wrong on that last bit)
What's the betting they make to restrictions permanent?

Some time back I was asked for my post code when buying and paying in cash for a couple of sacks of grain and layers pellets for my" few houshold chooks"

This was from one of the farm suppliers in Devon.

I was told that the information was for a Defra Database on who was keeping poultry.... Conspiracy theory..... watch out for that knock on the door by the ministry man to take you and your pets away!

My chooks and quackers are inside I need to add!!

Yeghes da

I was told that the information was for a Defra Database on who was keeping poultry.... Conspiracy theory..... watch out for that knock on the door by the ministry man to take you and your pets away!

The guys at Defra should have called it something fun like Chickbase and then everyone would register.
Fowlbase doesn't sound as good, and chickenbase is a bit long. :)

Well talking of chickens a very strange thing happened today. My hens have a large walk in run and I have put a small 9 inch square door at floor level in the main door. It stops the doves getting in to steal the food when the hens are out while letting them come and go through the day. Smaller birds do get in and I usually have to open the big door to let them out. Bear with me here. I cleaned the run out today and let the hens out for an hour. ( I'll probably get arrested now) when I went back to chase them in there was a sparrowhawk sitting on one of the perches. He'd had a feast on a little bird in there. Clever little bird, easy pickings. He couldn't work out how to get out though.

Well talking of chickens a very strange thing happened today. My hens have a large walk in run and I have put a small 9 inch square door at floor level in the main door. It stops the doves getting in to steal the food when the hens are out while letting them come and go through the day. Smaller birds do get in and I usually have to open the big door to let them out. Bear with me here. I cleaned the run out today and let the hens out for an hour. ( I'll probably get arrested now) when I went back to chase them in there was a sparrowhawk sitting on one of the perches. He'd had a feast on a little bird in there. Clever little bird, easy pickings. He couldn't work out how to get out though.

:icon_204-2:.. On the Sparrow Hawk situation i throw seed in the greenhouse for the sparrows and wild birds to stop the feral pigeons eating it, around one month ago they was a impressive Musket (Male Sparrow Hawk) stuck in there but with no little bird as they had pulled safe, i opened to door to chase it out but all it done was bounce of the glass, i have had one and a Goshawk for falconry purposes so i know there mentality and the best thing to do was let it calm down for 5 min's then go and catch it with gloves on to save it smashing its head in.
My chickens are locked in a brick double garage so thee will not be getting arrested.. lol

My chooks are currently inside a fox. We had a fox attack this week where it broke thro the fence panel at 2am and ran amuck.

Oh well at least I don't have to worry about bird flu.

I caught an item on the radio that China is struggling with bird flu and it's killed 80 humans so far.

1 of my roosters died today.

His brother clearly didnt enjoy being cooped up and thought there wasnt enough space for 2 roosters. They are in a 3x3m run.

Very sad. Cant wait until the 28th to let them back out.

1 of my roosters died today.

His brother clearly didnt enjoy being cooped up and thought there wasnt enough space for 2 roosters. They are in a 3x3m run.

Very sad. Cant wait until the 28th to let them back out.

Apparently...the lockdown is extended...unless you can be sure wild birds can't get at the food, water or poop over your run!!!
Welsh government have said all of Wales. They want to get off their ...'chairs'...and come outside where they will see chicken, ducks, geese etc happily pecking outside ...everywhere!!! On the website...they have invited all poultry owners to fill in a form.....:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back