Biological Wasp Trap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a bee!

oops, should have put other image on forum, :willy_nilly: they do catch the odd bee, but loads of wasps are falling prey to the spiders!

Tony, Should this be titled "biological bee trap"?

If wasps really get on your nerves, a blow lamp works wonders! Not very biological though.

Tony, Should this be titled "biological bee trap"?

If wasps really get on your nerves, a blow lamp works wonders! Not very biological though.
thats how i wrecked my first veil. following a wasp with a blowlamp he flew over my head and my lamp followed.............. needless to say i was sewing that evening.

Sorry but are you having a laugh :)

That wouldn't stand up in court :D

BTW

Those pictures of the bee and spider were very good :)

The jury is out on the so called wasp. Lack of submissible evidence.

Last edited:
I've had an idea for some time of of buying an old vacuum (small one) with a long tube and simply vac up the little blighters.

Anyone tried this?

I've had an idea for some time of of buying an old vacuum (small one) with a long tube and simply vac up the little blighters.

Anyone tried this?

Yes, I hoover up any bugs in the kitchen, fruit flys etc and I attempt to get wasps but find they are genetically programmed to avoid nozzles..

BUT... I have put 3 wasp traps on top of my hives and they have been so sucessful, probably about 2-300 wasps in each( after 2 weeks) I use a cut off bottle with the top inverted with some ribena in it .
I have found that if the bottle has labels on it they catch more wasps than labels peeled off, maybe it is camoflage....?

I am going to take off the traps empty them on a piece of paper and photo them for a bit of a wasp horror film when the season is over hhhaaa hhhhaaa hhhhaaa

Clare

found a couple of dead wasps on ground just outside my hives,the girls must have sorted them out,none in the wasp traps and I don't really see that many flying round the apiary.

I have just one wasp water trap nearby the hives, filled with jammy water, it appears to have well and truly done the trick.

.... or is it just coming to the end of wasp season?

Anyone tried this?

Just been watching a video on another thread of a beek sucking up a swarm.

I might give it a try if I get "a difficult to collect swarm"

Latest posts

Back