Big business in California....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Getting ready for the almond bloom...with someone else's bees...

"240 hives similar to those in the photo have been stolen earlier this week. They were near Colusa at the time of the theft and could now be anywhere in California. All of the equipment is marked with the brand # 42-14. The owners are asking that if you see these hives contact the Sheriff and/or the owners "

The cost of them could be close to a million of dollars, I presume. I would set a bank security system in that apiary. Sincere [FONT=&quot]condolence.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I probably need to install a security camera in mine already... at least.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited:
The cost of them could be close to a million of dollars, I presume
I think you have an extra zero in there - it's probably close to $100000.

I probably need to install a security camera in mine already
There area bunch of high-tech protection systems, from GPS trackers in the hives to electronic motion detection in the apiary.

And another one announced today....

Kevin Sprague posts on FB that over 200 hives stolen in the Yuba City Ca area about January 30.
He writes:
Had over 200 hives stolen this weekend in sutter county..if anyones sees these hives please contact sutter county sheriffs office or me kevin sprague at ***

I think you have an extra zero in there - it's probably close to $100000.
You right, my friend. 0 off. Nonetheless ...
Had over 200 hives stolen this weekend in sutter county..

Bee gangsters.
I can`t get how is it possible to steal on such a large scale and get away with it unnoticed.
Any shop has CCTV nowadays, it`s just a matter of checking the records of shops along the roads leading to the apiary. A truck with this amount of hives is very noticeable monster, I presume… Even if it`s done in portions, … it`s not a needle in a stack of hay.

You right, my friend. 0 off. Nonetheless ...

Bee gangsters.
I can`t get how is it possible to steal on such a large scale and get away with it unnoticed.
Any shop has CCTV nowadays, it`s just a matter of checking the records of shops along the roads leading to the apiary. A truck with this amount of hives is very noticeable monster, I presume… Even if it`s done in portions, … it`s not a needle in a stack of hay.
America is a little bit bigger than the UK..;)

America is a little bit bigger than the UK..;)
I`ve been in New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Atlantic city, Washington, Cincinnaty, traveled in a truck from Newark to Cincinnati. Got plenty of pictures. Amount of police on their roads is enormous in comparison with UK( where I`ve been about 5 times). It`s really the Police state. Can`t still understand how 200 hives can just disappear.

Is there a shortfall in the number of bees for the almond season?

Not that I've heard. There have been some big losses in Florida, and those bees would have gone to almonds. One operation that lost big was Paramount...huge almond grower. They bought out Mendes' 20,000 colony florida operation and were going to show everyone how to keep bees the right way. Many of their Florida bees are too weak for the trip to California.

Not that I've heard. There have been some big losses in Florida, and those bees would have gone to almonds. One operation that lost big was Paramount...huge almond grower. They bought out Mendes' 20,000 colony florida operation and were going to show everyone how to keep bees the right way. Many of their Florida bees are too weak for the trip to California.

From what I've read some of the very largest have suffered enormous losses - http://pioneersettler.com/david-hackenberg-loses-90-bee-hives/

I looked from google about beehive theafts. In NZ that seems to be popular. Stolen 20 hives us popular. Often they take only brood boxes.

I looked from google about beehive thefts. In NZ that seems to be popular. Stolen 20 hives is common amount. Often thieves take only brood boxes.

Are these losses or just weak colonies Michael?

The only reference I could find on the web pointed the finger at - of course - neonics (http://www.pressherald.com/2015/08/...-passed-laws-but-finding-culprit-gets-tricky/). Have all Florida operations suffered similarly?

Latest posts

Back