BIBBA talk on Ley Lines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the few people that is always interesting to listen to.
Really? He does lecture well, but often I find he is very fixed in his approach and not open to any alternatives. I don’t think anyone could claim to have perfected beekeeping

I recently listened to his lecture about questioning what you’re told and found it interesting and also made me feel a bit more chilled out about how i manage things. I will be listening to the Ley Lines one, good to be open minded and realise we always have something new to learn.

So why not send me a message and say "Can we delete all but one and move it to it's own thread so that it doesn't confuse people"?
Your picking a fight you cannot win, the moderators in fairness have a tough job keeping this site way better than most of the others, enjoy the posts :)

Bob, welcome to the forum. Yes, t's always like this. Yes, I intend watching the lecture becauonse although I am extremely scepticsl about ley lines per se, it should be fun and he tends to mention interesting things as he goes along. I think in the lectue description he implies he himself is sceptical snd the lecure will be slightly tongue in cheek, but does throw up some interesting observations.

My apologies for actually answering the OP's question
Roger was initially very sceptical about ENERGY lines - I rather wish people would stop using the term Ley lines as it conjurs up hocus pocus and invites sceptics to drag in the nonsense and charlatans that abound in the fringes. Even Roger titles his talk Energy lines - perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to match the talk title ... Mods please note.

I've spoken at length with Roger about this subject ... he openly admits that he was very sceptical but his practical investigation has convinced him that there is credence - unexplainable in modern scientific terms - based on numerous documented occurrences that present a very convincing case.

I don't agree with Roger about everything he suggests (and I accept that he can be dogmatic about some of the bees he has in his bonnet) but I think this talk is worth listening to - from the part I've already seen he is simply presenting the case and not on an evangelical crusade to get us all dowsing.

You may or may not believe but keep an open mind and enjoy his talk - it costs nothing but an hour of your time and you may find something to take along with you on your beekeeping journey ...

I find he is very fixed in his approach and not open to any alternatives. I don’t think anyone could claim to have perfected beekeeping
If you're agitated by a beekeeper with firm opinions based on long experience, then look away. I find that Roger has an open mind about many things and fixed views on others, much like the rest of us. :)

Some years ago he gave Epping Forest BKA an apiary demo of the energy lines theory; it was an entertaining event that provoked thinking and convinced almost entirely; that was enough for me.

Don’t apologise for answering a question. Is there any chance you could answer the ones about BIBBA members varroa tolerant bees and requests for some info. Ian
I refer you to David Heaf's recent book, Treatment Free Beekeeping

So why not send me a message and say "Can we delete all but one and move it to it's own thread so that it doesn't confuse people"?
Your mistake was posting a number of identical posts across a number of different threads ... you are relatively new to the forum .. so perhaps you have not yet picked up the forum etiquette yet ... the moderation on here is very light generally and I think it keeps the forum in good shape.

You should, perhaps, have just started a new thread - I accept that you posted on other threads where there was reference to energy lines but opening up five threads that were in some cases old and occasionally contentious - not a good idea.

Learn from it and move on ... I think it was PT Barnum that said 'there's no such thing as bad publcity' so you have acheived your objective. Thanks for bringing the talk to our attention - I'm sure your intention was good even if your delivery sucks ...

Personally, it's that term which

for me.
So ... you don't accept that the earth has detectable magnetic fields .? Perhaps then you can explain how a magnetic compass works .. ? We used to manage with those quite well for navigation - even before William Gilbert sought to explain the science in about 1600 ...

Prior to that ....

"The Compass is an instrument for navigation and orientation. It has a magnetic needle or a card that can rotate freely, and if positioned horizontally it will align itself with the magnetic field of the Earth and point Magnetic North-South. The First compass was invented in China during the Han Dynasty between the 2nd century BC and 1st century AD, (we don’t know precisely when). At first, it was used for divination, fortune-telling and geomancy, for finding precious gems and in Feng Shui but in time people discovered that it can be used for navigation and orientation. People knew about magnetite even before then, but it took centuries for it to get at least some purpose. "

It took about 800 years for an explanation to be found ... plenty of time left for the rest to be explained in scientific terms ...

I refer you to David Heaf's recent book, Treatment Free Beekeeping
Thanks for the reference is this the same man.
“I have to admire Mr Heaf's transparency, but also his sheer hubris. His early timeline goes like this:

2007: 6 Warre hives populated with bees.

2008: All 6 colonies survived the 2007/8 winter (0% winter loss). Some high varroa counts seen (no treatment given of course). More Warre colonies added making 11 in total by the end of the year.

2009: 5 out of the 11 colonies starved during the 2008/9 winter (45% winter loss). Another was found to contain a non-laying queen in May. More Warre hives were populated during the year, making a total of 12. Colonies had to be fed in autumn as they were critically short of stores.

2010: 2 of the 12 failed overwinter due to a non-laying queen (17% winter loss). More Warre hives were added, making a total of 15, but 3 died during the year. At the end of the summer David wrote “Of the 15 colonies in Warrés in the summer, only 12 are going into winter -- the same as last year -- and some of those are already looking as though they will not make it through winter.”

2011: Only 4 out of the 12 over-wintered colonies survived (67% winter loss).

At this point (early 2011) David decided it was the right time to publish “Bee-Friendly Beekeeper: A Sustainable Approach”

I had to look up "Sustainable" and "Friendly" just to make sure I had understood the meaning of those words correctly.”

Credit to mr BB

In fairness I was rather hoping for something from a more reliable source, or peer reviewed on this ground breaking work. Bar a book written by an amateur with minimal hives is there anything else?

Latest posts

Back