BFA membership

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to think this forum is basically equivalent to some form of BFA membership for the hobbyist given the amount of advice and number of BFs on here.

If you would like to see what goes on you can get the magazine 6 times a year. Full of interesting stuff and maybe different take on beekeeping.

The point I think most wannabe bee farmers are missing here is simply this; It is not a numbers game!

Any potential member of the BFA can assume [wrongly] that they can increase and/or buy sufficient resources [bee hives] to meet the perceived "numbers" in the first year or two of their beekeeping story to be accepted into the association.

Owning any amount of hives doesn't make you a beekeeper or a bee farmer in a similar way to owning a racing car doesn't make you a world champion racing driver.

As I understand the situation to be [from reading the posts in this thread from those in the know] you need to be able to show you and your beekeeping activities are being run as a business. A business that has been running for a period of time, that supports and reinforces the level of skill(s) you possess to manage both your hive numbers and your business. Finally, you should show how you intend to grow your business in the coming years.

As I'm not a member of any association or the BFA, in my view to hang on to the numbers allegedly being mooted is simply missing the point. My interpretation of what might have been said is; by the time you reach 60 hives you will have demonstrated those beekeeping skills over time to meet the necessary benchmarks for acceptance into the BFA. Its not a numbers game.

The point I think most wannabe bee farmers are missing here is simply this; It is not a numbers game!

As I'm not a member of any association or the BFA, in my view to hang on to the numbers allegedly being mooted is simply missing the point. My interpretation of what might have been said is; by the time you reach 60 hives you will (MIGHT) have demonstrated those beekeeping skills over time to meet the necessary benchmarks for acceptance into the BFA. Its not a numbers game.
I think that you are right .... you need the colony numbers to demonstrate that you are seriously able to be considered a beefarmer but no amount of colonies will demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skills and commercial acumen to be considered a proper beefarmer.

Many years ago I chartered a yacht in the Greek Islands for a flotilla sail .. in the flotilla was a yacht about twice the size of the one I had chartered ... the bloke sailing it was clearly totally clueless and almost a danger to the rest of the flotilla. After a week of seeing this buffoon being helped by just about everyone else on the flotilla and with the flotilla leader basically skippering for him I asked the flotilla leader what qualifications you needed to charter a yacht of that size ... his answer - a credit card ! Too often, these days, the ability to pay your way to some level of credibility overrides the need to demonstrate any ability.

Thankfully the BFA appear to be serious in their selection process and long may it continue ...

Back