Best wood glue?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughMann

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
One caviat - it has to be easy for one with artheritis to squeeze out......
Thanks

I use Soudal P45. Expanding moisture cured PU. Best one I've ever used.

Soudal P45 is good, can stain fingers/skin for a while. Used to use it and similar types a lot when I was in the joinery shop.
I currently use Bondit D3 duo pva wood glue, used it to glue my UFE's and poly carb insulated CB's. It flows pretty well when squeezed.
I tried a test piece and when dry the joined didn't give but the grain did from one piece.

Last edited:
Titebond II
when I researched wood glue, it was by far the best option. It's defined as safe to be used adjacent to food, if memory serves me correctly, in that it's the glue one would use if you are going to glue wood together for a kitchen chopping board; as close to 'food safe' as possible was important to me.

And all these are easy to get out of the bottle with one crippled hand?

And all these are easy to get out of the bottle with one crippled hand?

Squirt into a wide necked seal top plastic tub (neither of them go off until you use them) and buy some of these to apply it with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Blue...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Cheap as chips and re-usable - the flexible tip can be cut down for smaller jobs ... waste less glue than squirting it with the nozzles on their original containers - although the one on the Titebond II is quite good.

Try cascamite - mix it and use it, no squeezing of tubes and no wastage from tubes/bottles that have gone solid since last use

Try cascamite - mix it and use it, no squeezing of tubes and no wastage from tubes/bottles that have gone solid since last use

It's an old fashioned glue - I used it at school in the woodwork shop in the 1960's ... when we changed over from the animal glue simmering in the smelting pot ! It's a good glue but .. it's not weatherproof...I still use it occasionally as it has its place in my workshop but modern PVA has overtaken it I'm afraid.

I use Lumberjack woodworker's glue from Toolstation. It uses a mastic gun so can be used one handed. It seems to keep well - a problem with many glues.

Titebond 2 ... Best wood glue there is and the bottle and integral spreader are good as well. (Bit pricey but superb glue - use it all the time when woodturning needs it)

https://www.axminstertools.com/titebond-ii-premium-wood-glue-ax22583
Otherwise D4 from Toolstation is good value ... OK but not as good as Titebond but it's fine for roughwork and it is waterproof.

https://www.toolstation.com/d4-wood-glue/p61864?searchstr=wood glue
Not just one upmanship, but I have used Titebond III on all my hives and had no trouble. ( And I think it was I used on my hive making course at Axminster, around five years ago. ) Even more expensive than Titebond II, but in the scheme of overall costs, not something to be skimped on

It's an old fashioned glue - I used it at school in the woodwork shop in the 1960's ... when we changed over from the animal glue simmering in the smelting pot ! It's a good glue but .. it's not weatherproof...I still use it occasionally as it has its place in my workshop but modern PVA has overtaken it I'm afraid.

This is the cascamite I use - certainly no issues with waterproofing
C35A54FC-3E08-4E81-88CD-3D5C60EBFED0.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D5BEB1E-8944-431D-AC89-AAFF36855179.jpeg
    3D5BEB1E-8944-431D-AC89-AAFF36855179.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Not just one upmanship, but I have used Titebond III on all my hives and had no trouble. ( And I think it was I used on my hive making course at Axminster, around five years ago. ) Even more expensive than Titebond II, but in the scheme of overall costs, not something to be skimped on
I found Titebond III to be a bit watery in consistency. It runs all over the place. Great glue but more expensive and causes more squeeze out - I have reverted to Titebond II

This is the cascamite I use - certainly no issues with waterproofing
View attachment 22855
Looks like they have made a weatherproof variant ... my tin is a few years old and I found to my cost that it was not waterproof ...I'll look out for this one - I like Cascamite as you don't waste a lot and as long as you keep the lid on and it is dry it doesn't go off ... thanks

Thanks all, ordered a gallon of Titebond
In the meantime worked out a one handed way of getting what I have out the bottle!
20201105_145020_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back