Best way to split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I know this has been covered beofre but I can't find it.

When splitting a double brood for expansion is the best method to place a super inbetween with q/e on bottom box - top box with entrance at opposite side?

There are many methods to splitting.

Personally I would confirm which half the original queen is in and make sure the moved brood chamber has a fresh frame of newly laid eggs before moving it to a new site with all the bees in it.

This will of course mean the now two new colonies will be become uneven in colony size as the older bees moved will migrate back to the original location, but provided there is enough young bees they will be strong enough to rear a new queen and in 5-6 weeks should have a laying queen.

Some beeks prefer to keep the queen on the old site others say move the old queen to the new site... this is your choice.

I would not be splitting/separating until the queen cells have been built and occupied. Supercedure impulse will likely lead to a better queen than the 'emergency' (queenless)impulse.

No top entry. If one super were not enough put in another and add more eggs! When queen cells are drawn on the top box, separate to a new site (preferably 3 miles down the road - that way you do not lose those extra flying bees). If leaving it on the same site you can add more house bees, by locating the queen and shaking other frame(s) into the top box. The flying bees will return to the old position and after a day you can feed the split if necessary (a day, or a bit less, to prevent robbing).

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back