Best way to get bees out of hair without getting stung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get your hair cut like mine. They need spiked shoes just to gat a grip on my shiney slope:conehead:

Tried back combing and stupidly trying to out run them if they still go in for another go when they detangle themselves. Have to say I must look very funny running across the garden back combing and shaking my head. Fortunately it does nit happen very often.
PH is the voice of reason.
Had to laugh today one of my new chickens got to close to the hive todayand had a bee chase her, she did not have the chance to squish or back comb, however I think she has learnt a valuable lesson!

One fast smack to the head works best.

Sorry Poly but it doesn't work (unless you're almost bald)

Sometimes they accidentally get caught in tangled hair - for which I keep an Afro comb with wide teeth at the apiary to gently comb the bee out.

However, Guard bees will also deliberately 'drill down' to sting through the fur of a threatening creature......this has happened to me approx every three years and just has to be endured.

Stand still, keep calm and keep your hands away from the bee. I've had several stuck in my ponytail (sad middle aged git thing) the bee gets out eventually

DO NOT DO THIS:willy_nilly:

I am now bald and saving a fortune on shampoo. :)

When I had head hair I can assure you my technique works.

What ten year olds do is another matter entirely.

PH

Being semi bald, I have no issues. The hair I have is short.

Good hard slap on the head seems to work most times, especially if it's not yours.

Alternatively leave alone and calmly await in anticipation of what's to come.

Chris

Yup, have calmly waited once. I couldn't calmly wait the second time a few weeks later and ran round the garden screaming like a girl. Not one of my proudest moments...!

Oh yes it does. And I'm not.

Agree.

IF you leave bees to get out themselves they generally panic and sting.

Slap works. The longer the hair the more of a need to slap. AND if they are followers, then waiting won't work anyway as they are on a suicide mission.

Latest posts

Back