Best way to feed fondant.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had two pieces of advice, both from experienced beekeppers, on the best way to feed fondant :-
1. Cut in to thin strips and place a strip on top of each frame, below the crown board.
2. Leave the fondant in the plastic bag, cut slits in the bag and put the whole thing on top of the crown.
Number 2 makes more sense to me as it means that winter disturbance will be minimised. Your opinions are welcomed.

If fondant feeding is required (remember it is not a set program event), your option 2 fits.

I like to put an empty super on (above crown board) then drop in the fondant over one of the crown holes (other covered) just make a hole the size as the crown board, the bees will get in.

Then I add some insulation around and above the fondat packing out the super.

I make my own fondant from granulated sugar.

I put it in a Carte Dor container (after eating the ice cream of course) cut a hole in the lid, turn it over so it lines up with a hole in the crown board.

You can see if it is empty wiyhout disturbance.

If I feed fondant it is similar to Silly Bee.

I use the deeper plastic 'take-away' cartons, fill with fondant, cover with cling film and lid and store. When needed, I remove the lid, slash the cling film and slide the inverted container over a feed hole. Slide another over the other hole (or slide along behind and then in place of the empty one). Insulation over the top. A full one holds about a kg.

Regards, RAB

The fondant I use comes in a box with plastic outer. I cut off a chunk, wrap in clingfilm, open a feed hole and just slap it on the top (unwrapped under neath) and then replace the roof. easy !

S

He appears to be advocating leaving on an eke all winter and 3 empty supers for some time into the winter perhaps? I think I might not quite call that the 'classic' way to feed and overwinter my bees in terms of modern, classic, vintage and veteran. But if it works, it is another choice.

At a little over 50p per kilo for sugar and double that (just guessing at current price) for fondant, it may not be too expensive for the odd colony, but for several, where we do not account for the labour costs, we may need deepish pockets.

Are there any multiple-hive beekeepers out there that feed this way?

Regards, RAB

Are there any multiple-hive beekeepers out there that feed this way?

Peter Edwards, plus quite a few more...including myself for several years,and fondant works out costing not much more than sugar when buying in large amounts, only reason i have gone back to mainly syrup is the thymol.

How long can it be stored if i make up a large batch and what is the best way to store it?

But, how will I get HM's Autumn thymol into them?

You can only give the autumn thymol if you feed syrup...

I feed fondant.

I cut a hefty chunk off the slab, place it on the top bars iside an empty super, cover with plastic and let them get on iwth it.

Very straight forward.

Re cost. A major factor was omitted in a calc there. Sugar may indeed cost 50p a pound but it costs a bit more than that by the time, note time, and power to turn it into syrup.

I was planning on feeding some medicated syrup this back end but life is conspiring against me. I am now planning on feeding some meds in spring to my survivors.

PH

I'd like to try this next year.

But, how will I get HM's Autumn thymol into them?
It's all in your post.
Put Autumn thymol on first then leave fondant for later. If you put the fondant on 'too early' then the bees will use it all up before winter sets in.
I only use the fondant as a reserve winter feed for the bees 'to be used when necessary'- others use it as an insurance.

If I feed fondant it is similar to Silly Bee.

I use the deeper plastic 'take-away' cartons, fill with fondant, cover with cling film and lid and store. When needed, I remove the lid, slash the cling film and slide the inverted container over a feed hole. Slide another over the other hole (or slide along behind and then in place of the empty one). Insulation over the top. A full one holds about a kg.

Regards, RAB

:iagree:
I do the same as RAB, but I do not bother with the cling film. Feeding this way means that you can check if they need any more without taking the crownboard off and chilling the bees (even if it is only for a few seconds) by creating a chimmney effect through the hive.

PP,

The advantage is it doesn't stick to the crownboard and without having a carton lid with a hole in it - we don't get that many of those cartons, so they can get recycled.

Regards, RAB

I use Rab's method too - I thought I had invented this and felt sooo clever - now I realise I had reinvented the wheel - again!
Cazza

Back