Best way to feed fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I add fondant on top of my broodnests in Jan (under-super in September), as insurance against isolation starvation. Wondering how you do it and the best method, especially how you prevent it drying out?
I’ve tried putting the complete bag after opening one side & leaving the rest of the plastic on, on top of the top bars and also rolling it out further, so it covers a larger surface area over the top of the nest. Ive tried putting it over a rimmed queen excluder so bees are not squashed when adding and to stop it dripping down the frames, this works well. I also use a glass quilt so I can observe it being used and if the colony needs more.
What I have found though is it often dries out and I’m left with hard lumps which must be hard for the bees to process. What do you do, what have you learnt is the best method of applying & to prevent it drying out?
Thanks
Elaine

No method is perfect I am sure, but the ones you have tried are commonly recommended. I put fondant in large-ish (1.5kg) ziplock plastic bags, seal them up, then cut a circular hole (maybe 5cm diameter) in the middle of one side, then put it directly on the frames where I think the cluster is. I think the fact that the hole is small means that the fondant is less likely to dry out, because (as long as it is warm enough) any exposed fondant surface is being worked by bees. I am intending to experiment with two holes rather than one. I also use a perspex screen so I can see how they are getting on.

If you feed the proper amount you shouldn't need it:) yes I know, I give in too and use it just in case!!!!!!

Im feeding fondant to some of colonys instead of using syrup. IMG_20200905_122137.jpg
In the photo, my lad.
Im using a thin metal QX, 100mm eke, a layer of parchment paper which keeps the fondant from drying out and the bees don't eat it. 50mm poly insulation if theres still a void to the top of the eke I will use a quilt, either sheep's wool or a towel, solid crown board more poly 50mm and then a deep 6 inch roof.
This is my configuration up on the hill.
I also use gaffa tape round the joins between boxes. it helps until the bees propolis seal them together.

The parchment paper really helps as you can see through it and somewhat assess what's been used.

If you feed the proper amount you shouldn't need it:) yes I know, I give in too and use it just in case!!!!!!
Just worry about isolation starvation. In my first year of beekeeping, a couple of years ago, a colony died in winter that had a full super of stores above, yet their heads were in cells and a dead queen in the middle. Will never forget that image. I like to give fondant over the cluster as insurance, also under super in sept, so they are sandwiched between stores or bring them up.

Just worry about isolation starvation. In my first year of beekeeping, a couple of years ago, a colony died in winter that had a full super of stores above, yet their heads were in cells and a dead queen in the middle. Will never forget that image. I like to give fondant over the cluster as insurance, also under super in sept, so they are sandwiched between stores or bring them up.

The super of stores above caused the bees to leave the cluster to go upstairs and get cold. Not a good idea imho. Nadired or not at all. Feed syrup now, fondant (Apifonda or similar) after Xmas or early NY placed immediately above the cluster with an access hole into the bag of fondant within a thin eke (1" max) that is easily made from old battens, trellis or other bits of wood under the crown board, holes blocked if you wish. At same time in mid winter treat with oxalic too.

The super of stores above caused the bees to leave the cluster to go upstairs and get cold. Not a good idea imho. Nadired or not at all. Feed syrup now, fondant (Apifonda or similar) after Xmas or early NY placed immediately above the cluster with an access hole into the bag of fondant within a thin eke (1" max) that is easily made from old battens, trellis or other bits of wood under the crown board, holes blocked if you wish. At same time in mid winter treat with oxalic too.
In fairness I have never had that happen!

In fairness I have never had that happen!
Same here as long as the fondant is put on top of the frames under the crown board bees don't have to leave the cluster as the fondant is all above covering every frame. See my photo.

Wondering how you do it and the best method, especially how you prevent it drying out?
I've rarely needed to use fondant for my hives but do routinely use for overwintering nucs.
I pack it into Chinese takeaway tubs and invert over a small cut off of old QE. Never had a problem with drying out.
Have though sometimes had the opposite problem of the fondant getting 'drippy' where it has absorbed moisture.

Fondant goes as a thin layer on the top bars.
:iagree: I can remember poly hive giving me this advice when I first came on here I wouldn't do it in any other way, I've not lost a colony to I. S.
Or to anything else for that matter.

I cut fondant into approx 1 cm thick sheets , cover in clingfilm, score side to be underneath leaving a small beespace width for bees to find, then place on topbars..

Designed to fit under raised CBs..

Very easy to handle, take a tray and distribute for that.

Fed mini mating nucs over winter that way.. they survived.

Same here as long as the fondant is put on top of the frames under the crown board bees don't have to leave the cluster as the fondant is all above covering every frame. See my photo.

I think that is what I said. If it wasn't specific enough my apologies.

Latest posts

Back