best way to clean extractor ......?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
hi i recantly purchased a -Universal Light Weight Side Handle Radial Extractor (E1853) (from th****s) . This has been my first ever extraction and wondered which is the best way of cleaning up the extractor once finished using....

many thanks in advance .......

COLD water and keep rinsing. Use the water for mean or similar...Hot water will melt any wax in it and make it hell to clean - hence only the cold water...

I have a stainless steel one and i always cold flush several time first otheriwse everthing get coated in wax

i usually take it to the patio and use a hose pipe to wash the wax down into the drum, then drain, repeat several times,directing the jet into the honey collecting recesses, then once all the wax is gone fill with half full of warm water ( not boiling or it melts any wax caught), squease of fairy and rotate the cage to agitate the water, drain, fill to the top with cold and drain again, dry all surfaces with a new jay cloth

at the end of the season i dismantly the drive and cage and scrub the cage and bearing rod and recesses, rinse and dry, seal the top with cling film

Last edited:
Steam cleaner!
Vm

doesn't that leave melted wax residue when it cools, similar to problem you'd have with hot water.

I just hose it out, first rinse with minimal water o use as base for mead, then a good soaking (usually me too!)

I take mine onto the lawn and hose it through.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

May be better to have it irradiated before taking it outside, could spread some disease like AFB.

I give mine to the bees for the rest of the day to pick clean then cold soapy water ready for packing away till next time.

May be better to have it irradiated before taking it outside, could spread some disease like AFB.

Probably easier to inspect your bees for nasties!

I've been wondering whether hosing all this honey and wax around outdoors would attract 'attention' from the ever-vigilent workers... and/or leave a sticky patch on the lawn? :)

I give mine to the bees for the rest of the day to pick clean then cold soapy water ready for packing away till next time.

Great way to spread any disease from bees in the area

Great way to spread any disease from bees in the area

Mind you according to Finman's favourite expert in Australia, 'open feeding' has never been proven to transmit any bee disease.
/ And no, I don't believe it either. :rolleyes:

A mild solution of washing up liquid and water and a soft brush then rinse a few times with a hose pipe

Probably easier to inspect your bees for nasties!

prevention is often easier than cure, thinking about other bees here as well, including those that have no owner.

doesn't that leave melted wax residue when it cools, similar to problem you'd have with hot water.

I just hose it out, first rinse with minimal water o use as base for mead, then a good soaking (usually me too!)

Cold water rinse, hot water and detergent , then lay up !
Before next use is when steam cleaner is used :)
VM

Mind you according to Finman's favourite expert in Australia, 'open feeding' has never been proven to transmit any bee disease.
/ And no, I don't believe it either. :rolleyes:

Itma, shame on your, noughty boy. Why you invent your stupid ideas under my name.
What I have done to you, except keep you as nonexperienced beekeeper, which just play his mouth.

And what I have to do with Australian feeding of disease thing? What is the great idea, you Giant of Intelligence.

If you get acquainted on Australian AFB issues, you could learn something.

If a guy has one beehive, he must ask permission to keep it.
Then inspector inspects the hive that it has no AFB spores. Then the hive can exist.

Australia has huge amount of wild colonies. Even if a beekeeper keeps his hives absolutely clean, however, the hive can rob the hive in nature which has weakened by ABF. - Yes, they have make a research how to get of from disease. The answer is no, because migratory beekeeping moves hives and spread disease, and migrated hives get disease fom nature, even if they are totally cleaned.

Look, how much thaey have made work with issue
http://www.google.fi/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=afff26e41ad10051&q=american+foulbrood+in+australia

Last edited:
Itma, shame on your. Why you invent your stupid ideas under my name.

If you get acquainted on Australian AFB issues, you could learn something.

If a guy has one beehive, he must ask permission to keep it.
Then inspector inspects the hive that it has no AFB spores. Then the hive can exist.

Australia has huge amount of wild colonies. Even if a beekeeper keeps his hives absolutely clean, however, the hive can rob the hive in nature which has weakened by ABF. - Yes, they have make a research how to get of from disease. The answer is no, because migratory beekeeping moves hives and spread disease, and migrated hives get disease fom nature, even if they are totally cleaned.

Finman, no invention.
Only yesterday you cited an Australian document "Fat Bees Skinny Bees" as supporting your daft idea that sucrose is the bee food that most closely emulates nectar.

That document has several other daft ideas - including open feeding.
It says on the page with number 25
The advantage of this system of feeding is the speed at which syrup can be fed to an apiary and the lack of the need for an investment in individual feeders.
The disadvantages are that strong colonies will collect more syrup than weaker colonies. Protection from livestock and moisture is important. Large numbers of drowning bees are common...
There have been suggestions that it may spread bee diseases, although there is no substantive proof to support these concerns.

And I think that is hard to believe - and very poor advice.
I hope you will agree with me.
Especially since Australia has an AFB problem (though no varroa), it seems crazy that a document intended to educate Aussie beekeepers should offer such advice.

Latest posts

Back