best way to build up a cast in a tbh?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexbigshow

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, just wondering if you have any tips on building a cast into a strong colony in a tbh, they took up residence in the hive 3 weeks ago there was 4 old combs of wax in from last year so they had a good start, the queen is laying workers in the space available to her and workers are coming in and out in a solid stream, they are doing fine i just want to make sure they bulk up in time for winter, i don't intend on taking any honey from them this year.

thanks for any replies
chris

Feed them with an inframe feeder.. 1:1 sugar solution.

Feed them with an inframe feeder.. 1:1 sugar solution.
If no frame feeder available ,feed with contact feeder (easily made with honey jar with a few holes punched in lid with a hammer and the tip of a small nail) same syrup strength :)

VM
Just noticed tbh . Maybe an entrance feeder will be better suited ( Hamster/rabbit water bottle springs to mind ?)

Last edited:
Brosville is a spammer !!!

Linking to his own site..

Go get him Mr Meldrew..

What happened to the pop-up stopper/ link blocker ?:svengo:

Peace Brother not worthy

VM

thanks for the replies
Hamster/rabbit water bottle springs to mind, i like this idea vm i will give it a try

I tried that with our first one and a contact feeder mounted internally and both failed dismally. Either fondant in a container on the floor under one end of the brood nest or the rectangular plastic feeders which I use on all my hives square and long. Just use a conventional entrance block on its side or a conventional top bar below the in-point. Sorted.

thanks susbees, its always better to know someone has tried an idea before, i will use your idea of the feeder on the hive floor

Back