Best way of storing supers over winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
How do you store your supers over winter to keep wax moth out? Somehow the little blighters managed to get into the bin liners they. We're stored in last year. Is there any fool proof method?

How do you store your supers over winter to keep wax moth out? Somehow the little blighters managed to get into the bin liners they. We're stored in last year. Is there any fool proof method?

Hi,
I have been told that bin liners are not thick enough plastic. I did store mine successfully, after freezing the frames, in supers wrapped in large seethrough thick polythene bag wrapped around tightly with string. There is always some wax moth in comb thereof the freezing (if you have got the room keep them in the freezer). There is also some preparation to spray the frames with. However, sprayed frames in our Apiary is infested so I would still wrap them up in plastic.

I keep mine in the spare room and that's pretty foolproof....I have a very understanding husband, fortunately.

I stack some in a huge freezer. Whats left over go stacked vertically, with a solid crown board on the bottom and an empty super on top. Then treated with sulphur strips burnt from the top. I keep an eye on all my empty super frames, over winter. Treat accordingly.

Chest freezer for me this year.
(Er, for my frames, not for my chest...)

I stack mine wet "upstairs" in the grenier and cover the top one on each tower with a board.

Chris

I was told that the moth doesn't attack wet frames.

I store mine wet in bin liners and have very few probs.

I have never had a problem with indrawn foundation. I will freeze the frames in case the little blighters have laid eggs and then bag up. I did consider cling film but I am unsure if this will taint the comb, any thoughts on this welcome.

Stacks of 6 with all joints sealed with masking tape, empty brood box on top to take the sulphur burner finally a solid board top and bottom. I burn 2 strips every month. "Air" them for a few days prior to use. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back