Best ventilated bee suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm ordering another Oz Armour to cut down the wash, dry, repeat cycle. My old BB wear suits are only used in colder conditions now, there is no way I'd last an apiary inspection in one of those.
Oz Armour: don't make any errors when ordering. There is no UK contact number, and the lady who responded to my 5-minutes-later request to cancel was clueless and gave up when she couldn't be right. Thirty quid down the drain - my own fault but still leaves a bad taste.

Boulivo Beekeeping - cheap and very good for the money

£40
I second the Boulivo Beekeeping suits. I have 5 now to cater for myself, my wife and kids. They are ventilated suits at a low price (£40). Unless there is a breeze they are still hot, but when that breeze arrives it is amazing. For the price / perceived quality I'd find it impossible to spend £120+ on a suit now.

Regarding the Boulivo vented suits and ebay, agreed they are cheap, but the downside to these suits are the overlapping zip, bees have a tendency to burrow between the zips and get inside your veil. Also over time as it is one zip the constant undoing and doing up of the zip along with the weight of the round hat or fencing veil opens up the zip and at some point you are there with a defensive hive and they get inside. I had a couple of suits like them and trying to find a replacement zip was a nightmare, they cost as much as the suit. One beekeeper I know, his lasted 2 months.

Regarding the Boulivo vented suits and ebay, agreed they are cheap, but the downside to these suits are the overlapping zip, bees have a tendency to burrow between the zips and get inside your veil. Also over time as it.....
I have nothing really to compare the Boulivo suit too....my first off AliExpress....well i was stung lots & it was so hot as it wasn't ventillated. Next came the Boulivo one.

I have two zip pulls for the veil - 1 on each side. I never undo it fully. For me, the fact the zips overlap seems a benefit (or it did until you mentioned the associated weekness!). Add the velcro flap & it seems very secure. I've yet to have any movement from the zips during usage (i have a round veil).

Could you give me an example of a more secure suit that I may then look up to see the differences? It's the zip system specifically.

I agree fitting a new zip would be pointless bearing in mind the cost of the suit. I don't see that as a weakness though - bees possible burrowing through does concern me mind you!

I have nothing really to compare the Boulivo suit too....my first off AliExpress....well i was stung lots & it was so hot as it wasn't ventillated. Next came the Boulivo one.

I have two zip pulls for the veil - 1 on each side. I never undo it fully. For me, the fact the zips overlap seems a benefit (or it did until you mentioned the associated weekness!). Add the velcro flap & it seems very secure. I've yet to have any movement from the zips during usage (i have a round veil).

Could you give me an example of a more secure suit that I may then look up to see the differences? It's the zip system specifically.

I agree fitting a new zip would be pointless bearing in mind the cost of the suit. I don't see that as a weakness though - bees possible burrowing through does concern me mind you!
Looking at the photos of the Boulivo suit it looks like one zip with 2 zip pulls
The one's I prefer have 2 zips, also they have velcro on the inside on the front and back which makes the veil more secure. The Boulivo one has an outside flap that covers the 2 zip pulls, it also has 2 pieces of velcro to cover the zip, but there is still an opening, which the bees managed to get through, my solution for that was to insert a small length of foam over the zip pulls and then velcro the flap.

My OH convinced me to get the BBWEAR ventilated “it’s the bees knees” suit last year to deal with an extremely aggressive colony and several wasp nests. I found it not to be “the bees knees”. The sizing stated on the website (then) didn’t hold water and I had to send the suit back to have the sleeves extended. The service from them was good. The suit does keep you a lot cooler. It has sleeves that require gauntlets to prevent stinging to the wrist - which reduces the cooling. It is marketed as sting proof, but my aggressive bees stung me through it.
This year I have worn it a lot - it’s good with the above pitfalls but not worth the price in my opinion.
I have a BB Wear ventilated suit which gets regularly abused with rough usage , I know it cost a fortune but wouldn’t be without in this heat . I know it’s not so easy but I would recommend try before you buy any suit as sizes vary considerably.
S

I've got a old castle farm jacket which I quite like, comes into its own in thr grueling heat when combined with a bib and brace trouser set up worn comando

I started with a Thornes ventilated which is heave and not well made. I now have a BB wear Ultra Breeze which is the best bee suit I have worn, light, very ventilated and tough. Also has a long guarantee. My back up is an Oz Armour which is heavy, hood is not good (keeps touching my nose) and the hood zip is an overlap one.

Thanks so much for all the advice and suggestions. I have ordered a Swienty Breeze which I hope arrives this week as need to check on a couple of hives on Friday. This seemed the best option for my budget and I also didn't want a heavy suit.

I bought one of these last year and found it excellent for the price. Its a weird feeling at first getting breeze on arms and legs! Even with a vented suit, I am still trying for early and late inspections ( pre 10 and after 5) in current heat

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265153015757
A couple of points about this suit. I am just under six feet so got the 2XL. The measurement overall are as described but to me a little short in the body while the legs are very long. This makes it tricky to get on and off the shoulders, It is airy and the hood veil is strong. The zips are a bit stiff but expect it would be smooth with wear. It is on the heavy side but it looks secure. Good price. Will I keep it. Undecided.

Another vote here for the Swienty Breeze - as it’s my first suit I’ve got nothing to compare against other than the loaner on my first branch apiary visit. So fast I’ve been happy, no stings and it does what it says on the tin regarding “breeze. What did it for me was the variety of great reviews

Decided to send it back (see earlier post). Felt like Houdini getting in and out of it so still looking for one which fits my body shape. 5'11" and 37" waist. Mostly seem to be bulky and often the measurements they give aren't too accurate.

Decided to send it back (see earlier post). Felt like Houdini getting in and out of it so still looking for one which fits my body shape. 5'11" and 37" waist. Mostly seem to be bulky and often the measurements they give aren't too accurate.
Oz Armour Large would fit you.

A couple of points about this suit. I am just under six feet so got the 2XL. The measurement overall are as described but to me a little short in the body while the legs are very long. This makes it tricky to get on and off the shoulders, It is airy and the hood veil is strong. The zips are a bit stiff but expect it would be smooth with wear. It is on the heavy side but it looks secure. Good price. Will I keep it. Undecided.
My wife and I bought same earlier in the year. We have found them an excellent purchase.

i would recommend this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25432391...CQ3rClrRiW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
oz armour its like winter coat hot and not very brezzy
swienty brezze ,has same fabric like saftabee from my link but twice the price and one serious fault, when you have sunlight from behind ,its reflecting from fancy veil and more dazzling then help limiting visibility
ive got this suit (i had other is well)
but this from my link its very brezze you can work in "pants"
and didn't get any sting

i would recommend this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25432391...CQ3rClrRiW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
oz armour its like winter coat hot and not very brezzy
swienty brezze ,has same fabric like saftabee from my link but twice the price and one serious fault, when you have sunlight from behind ,its reflecting from fancy veil and more dazzling then help limiting visibility
ive got this suit (i had other is well)
but this from my link its very brezze you can work in "pants"
and didn't get any sting
Weird looking hood? But zip for front screen could be useful.
SaftaHood.jpg

hood its weird but same air breeze fabric,if you use baseball hat then you understand why is shape,but anyway if you have face down front veil its far away from face and your head its protected from stings.
what i not understand,all producer bee suits useing very strong thick veil mesh netting,which really limiting visibility in poor weather conditions(no sunny day)
its difficult to see eggs in cells ,even if you use good glasses😊
when i ask why is that i receive most answers like "because are demanding" or because people ask for ???
years ago bj sheriff had very nice thin veil mesh(i have up today in shelf)
but standard thick fabric very hot i sunny day 🥵🥵

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back