Best use for partially-filled brood combs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having broken down the queenless hive that I united with another colony a while back, I have a number of brood combs that are partially-filled with capped honey -- perhaps up to half a frame. Any suggestions as to the best use for them? I'd feed them to a nuc, but I reckon they'd get through them so fast it may not be worth the bother (and if the queen started laying up the frame I'd not then want to remove it to replace with another partially-filled frame).

James

Having broken down the queenless hive that I united with another colony a while back, I have a number of brood combs that are partially-filled with capped honey -- perhaps up to half a frame. Any suggestions as to the best use for them? I'd feed them to a nuc, but I reckon they'd get through them so fast it may not be worth the bother (and if the queen started laying up the frame I'd not then want to remove it to replace with another partially-filled frame).

James
If the queen started laying there then she needs the space?
Keep them all.Honey and pollen are really useful. I have mine in the freezer. As they are used they get a dash of Dipel and are stored in a shed

I too have been collecting used brood frames as I've had to do some reuniting (from nuc AS) following 3 colonies failing to generate a mated new queen; the QCs all hatched but nothing useful resulted despite waiting several weeks. There was a period of poor weather around that time so maybe that was the issue.
Whilst the colonies are broodless they stuff stores into the brood frames and now seem reluctant to move the stores up into the supers following reuniting.
What do you do about the brood frames with uncapped honey - is it likely to start fermenting if stored for long periods ?

ing reuniting.
What do you do about the brood frames with uncapped honey - is it likely to start fermenting if stored for long periods ?
Freezer. Too good to waste. Or spin out put in a bottle in the freezer and add to your winter syrup

I must say i had 300 spare drawn brood comb at the start of the season and it made this year's beekeeping alot easier on management

Latest posts

Back