Best size jar for selling?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In amongst all this talk of swarms and stings there is some honey being made! :hurray:

Those of you who sell locally or from your gate, what size jar sells best and what price do you charge?

It's not going to be massive but I already have two full supers and the third is well on it's way (rape from just the one wintered hive). The psychological boost of an early harvest and some return (however small) would be nice!

:cheers2:

two full supers and the third is well on it's way

Beware! If it is mostly OSR, it may start crystallising and cause extraction problems. I often take off the capped, and any that withstands the 'shake test' and spin it out before it has the chance to give trouble.

Regards, RAB

Squat pounds for locals expensive hex 8oz jars for tourists

Hi Rosti

Lucky you, i use 12oz hex jars, they make the honey go a little further than the rounder 1lb jars. And personally i think they look nicer.

I recently sold the last of last years honey for £3.50 each to a local farm shop, i got a little more as i told them i had lost nearly all my bees this year and the money raised was going toward a new colony.

Enjoy the extraction. :hurray:

If it is mostly OSR, it may start crystallising and cause extraction problems. Regards, RAB

Thanks RAB, the hive is in the middle of about 30 Ha OSR so it certainly is. Can the first of the supers wait a further 2 weeks in your opinion, since I am away on business until then? If it can't do I have options? Thoughts appreciated. R

You must extract as the flowers fade but I was talking to someone yesterday who had it starting to crystalise now - and the flowers are still in full bloom. He thought it might be due to the poor weather because with less bees in the supers bringing in new nectar the honey that was already there was getting cold.

Those of you who sell locally or from your gate, what size jar sells best and what price do you charge?

340g and £3-50

well i suggest you bring it to london..North london BKA were selling local london honey in 8oz jars of Honey in hampstead at £4.25...that £8.50 per pound...they cannot get enough

me i sell mine at £2.75 per 8 oz, £5.00 per lb ...at local fetes/schools in surburb London etc and donate 20%-25% to the organisors....best seller clear and light early take off OSR..

has anyone consdered selling honey as Active honey +5 etc, how do they measure the +active

Latest posts

Back