Best selling honey jar size?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What size jar sells best?

I realise that many beekeeepers sell the 12oz jar but was talking with a beekeeper yesterday who said that he does the 8oz jars for shops to sell as they go better?

What candles sell best as well if you sell them?

Regards labels I understand that the legislation has been relaxed over the last few months?

I use all 454g traditional honey jars,they seem to sell well,and some 8oz with comb and honey in,i think the choice of, or design of label is most important as well.

Got bored with candles years ago,to much demand,not enough time. sounds bad.

I only use 454 gram jars as well but have noticed a definite increase in the numbers of people selling in 12oz jars. I reckon folks are happy to pay what they consider to be a good price for a jar of honey without checking if it's 1 lb or 12oz. Probably easier to sell 12oz for ?3 than 16oz for ?4 for example.

What has changed re the labelling?

I have always sold my honey in 454 gram jars.
But this year I thought I do some 12oz and 8oz jars.
I have almost sold out of the 8oz jars as many of my regular buyers got an extra 8oz jar to give to friends.
Only sold 4 12oz and going give them away at Xmas.

Hi Bcrazy,

Just asking about Admin's statement on the first post of this thread

"Regards labels I understand that the legislation has been relaxed over the last few months?"

what has changed/relaxed?

Hi Admin,

Jonathan & I were wondering what has been relaxed regarding the labelling?
As I understand it it was changed to accommodate the EC regulations.

What has been relaxed?

Regards;

Hi all

Honey no longer has to be sold in the previously specified weights, that's all

Regards Ian

Thanks Ian,yes I was talking about jar sizes.

I was reading that if you want to do farmers markets they like you to of done a basic health and hygiene certificate?

I googled for info and found you can do an online exam with a certificate for £25 with as many extra free exams it takes until you pass.

I never bottled 12 oz jars.

I found that having liquid and creamed honey was an advantage. Note that selling liquid honey to shops carries it's own hazards.

A bright plain label is the way to go. Clear type face is clever to have too.

A wee note on the jar as to how to enjoy it is a help as well.

Ignore to a point the prices others sell at. It is your honey, you know how good it is so sell to that point. Sell high not low. You are selling a quality product.

If you are not selling a quality product please eat it yourself or give it away to those that can handle it properly.

Highest price I have seen this year is ?13 a pound. Basic blossom in a squat jar at that from a Beefarmers shop in Wales. Good on them...

PH

Pet is Plastic,polyethlene something thalate or something like that.

Its what Rowse use for their honey.

672486b.jpg

Pet jars from Thornes with twist lids:
petjars.jpg

Thanks Admin.

They are cheaper and very rarely break in the post.
I have been told if any Glass Jars in a box of 72 break in the post, I can not get a replacement or refund.

Has anyone tried selling honey in the Pet jars ?
Do the public accept them ok ?

Chainbridge Honey Farm, Willie Robson uses plastic jars and as he sells a lot into shops they are presumably acceptable to the public. After all one does not eat the jar but the contents...LOL

PH

Thanks Ian,yes I was talking about jar sizes.

I was reading that if you want to do farmers markets they like you to of done a basic health and hygiene certificate

Do the certificates have an expiry date or is it a case of once it is done you never need to do another one?

Latest posts

Back