Best selling honey jar size?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the certificates have an expiry date or is it a case of once it is done you never need to do another one?

Industry generally look at 3 yearly refreshers as a guide, although I don't think that there is necessarily a law stating that you must do so.

What size jar sells best?

I realise that many beekeeepers sell the 12oz jar but was talking with a beekeeper yesterday who said that he does the 8oz jars for shops to sell as they go better?

So, 6 years further on from this post is the 1lb jar still the favourite or has the 12oz become more popular? I recently bought the 12oz hex jars in the Pattesons offer as before I became a Bee Keeper, i.e. last year, I preferred to buy honey in that size jar.

Also does anyone know of a label that will neatly bend around the hex without looking like a bodge?

Do the certificates have an expiry date or is it a case of once it is done you never need to do another one?

Most markets will want to see copies of your documentation before they let you sell (not all though). Usally a hygiene rating from your local council or an acknowledgement that you registered with them to sell consumable items. Although honey is very low risk and some authorities are just happy that you register your intention to sell honey and won't insist on a visit (that's the majority as they are very understaffed) due to government cuts....Good old conservatives for you :) Best to check with yours.
If they want to inspect for 5 star hygiene rating they (and the market) will also expect you to have completed a basic level 2 hygiene certificate. This can be done on line, multiple choice questions, take as often as you want until you pass, around £20. Easy peasy.
It's a lot less hassle if the Market manager doesn't ask you for any of these, although if you get inspected by Environmental health you may be asked to stop selling.

Your level 2 certificate doesn't expire, but if the local environmental health do check you for the star hygiene rating system they will re-inspect at approx 3 year intervals for food hygiene rating. It gives your customers confidence in you when you can display a 5 star rating on your stall.

I do 2 different circuits of farmers markets, one want to see all documentation before I was allowed to sell, other didn't ask for a thing. They assumed I had the necessary cover etc..

You will also need third party indemnity, not sure if the BBKA cover suffices. I have a policy with the National Market Traders Federation which covers me for around £90 a year.

There are a a lot of grey areas about honey sales, but as the set up is relatively painless it does cover your ass if someone breaks a tooth on a piece of broken glass inside one of your jars. Or your stall blows over on top of someone...another grey area. If it's your own stall you are responsible, if it's a hired stall the market is responsible.

A lot of country shows I do insist that you have all three and want to see copies before they will allow you to sell there....so it depends where you intend to sell.
It's all stuff and nonsense really. But alas is the world we live in all elf and safety. However, having seen some of the cowboys and their tricks out there I can understand why they are insisting on it.

Also does anyone know of a label that will neatly bend around the hex without looking like a bodge?

Any oblong label will do fine on a hex Jar, I use 99 x 57mm ones. Secret is to keep product name etc on all within the first panel of the hexagon so people don't have to read round corners. Use a lazer printer, otherwise the ink runs in the first shower of rain.....as I found out to my cost in the early days.

Sod me just seen I've replied to 6 year old post.....thought it was a new thread......
Never mind......
Honey sells in any jar size. I use 12 and 8 ox hex with no problems. Although in my region the 12 sell twice as fast as the 8 oz's.

Latest posts

Back