Best rapid feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
Can anyone enlighten me as to the "best" rapid feeder for the Autumn. Should I use the Miller/Ashworth type with National hives or are the plastic jumbo feeders form T*****s etc good? Certainly much cheaper than the cedar rapid feeders!

I use home made millers for bulk feeding because they have such a large bee contact area and capacity (I really can only visit my apiary once a week so this are convienient). If I am applying a treatment e.g. Fumidil B then I use the small round rapids (same principle) but they only have about 1.5 l capacity - that said you know all the treatment has been given.

I've used both Ashworth and the plastic jumbo.

Ashworth for me. (similar to miller)

Peter, agree with the following? Same principle but,

Ashworth entrance at one end and single sided syrup contact, advantage is they dont have to be very level so longs entrance is at bottom of hill.

Miller, central entrance, double sided so double the bee/syrup contact area over a comparable Ashworth, but more sensitive to being non-level

Yes for Ashworth.

I've never used a miller.

Perhaps with the miller they will take it down faster but they soon clear the Ashworth.

Peter

So no takers for the plastic rapid feeder? Why not?

I used these last year and they are OK. Nothing wrong with them.

It's just that the Ashworth/Miller holds more and seems a bit easier to handle.

I still use them for the bees I have in the national hive which won't be transferred to L/s 'til next spring.

Latest posts

Back