Best Queen excluder and why

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
Can anybody recommend a good Queen excluder please and say why they are recommending it.

Thanks in anticipation.

my preference is for the wood framed metal ones, stronger ,easy to clean offers bee space and dont distort or crack, also not propolised too much
I wonder though about the bamboo ones offered on the market how long will they last.? (anybody using them?)

Wood framed metal only. Easy to use, easy to clean, and the bees are chilled about having them taken off. Worth the extra.

I agree too.

An extra advantage is that because the excluder has rounded wires the edges of the narrowest part are rounded and do less damage and wear to bees passing through than the sharp edges of ones stamped out of metal.

Steve

One that has:

1) Bee space on one side
2) Suitable sized gaps for workers to pass through
3) A frame rim properly sized for the hive
4) Near zero damage to the bees passing through
5) A self supporting non sagging design
6) Near zero possibility of propolis attachment to frame top bars
7) Durable

There is only one that meets those criteria, the wood framed Herzog (wire type)

The rest, without exception, are complete crap, thrown together by people that have never heard of LL Langstroth and who sell to fools who buy on price rather than quality, who then wonder why their hives are plastered with propolis and why the bees get pissed off when they ping off the QEx from the top bars.

:puke: plastic queen excluders
:puke: perforated steel queen excluders
:puke: unframed queen excluders

Last edited:
One that has:

1) Bee space on one side
2) Suitable sized gaps for workers to pass through
3) A frame rim properly sized for the hive
4) Near zero damage to the bees passing through
5) A self supporting non sagging design
6) Near zero possibility of propolis attachment to frame top bars
7) Durable

There is only one that meets those criteria, the wood framed Herzog (wire type)

The rest, without exception, are complete crap, thrown together by people that have never heard of LL Langstroth and who sell to fools who buy on price rather than quality, who then wonder why their hives are plastered with propolis and why the bees get pissed off when they ping off the QEx from the top bars.

:puke: plastic queen excluders
:puke: perforated steel queen excluders
:puke: unframed queen excluders

accurate, concise post Martin !!

it's good to have someone say what they think, without pulling any punches!!!!

rgds, Tony ( who uses framed wire excluders )

Just another passing observation...

I think Th ornes sell wooden framed wired excluders at around 17-18 pounds. They also sell the wire on its own without the little wooden frame for 8.95.

This year we have been buying these wired excluders and popping on the wood ourselves in a few minutes at home saving lots of cash.

My bit of wood is as strong as theirs and everyone is happy. Bees included.

We use WBCs and chop the wire to size in a couple of minutes as they are sold sized for the slightly larger BS National.

All you National owners can save cash even more easily than me...:)

All the best,
Sam

:iagree:

BBG
I'd rather give the queen free access to the whole hive in my poly hives than use the plastic or metal slotted QE which rests on the frames.

Last edited:
I have a slotted metal unframed one and it's almost impossible not to trap bees when the supers are put back :(

I have a metal wire excluder - seems o.k. but it tends to get waxed up over the frames but it is very robust. I didn't go for the wooden framed ones as I was told they can split very easily when they have to be pried off - opinions please as I need to buy more QX's and I've seen wooden framed wire ones for about 12-14 quid, same price as the metal ones

:iagree:

BBG
I'd rather give the queen free access to the whole hive in my poly hives than use the plastic or metal slotted QE which rests on the frames.

No Queen excluder? I have thought about this because we have put another brood box on two hives and they were like ferrets in building new comb, stocking with honey but the Queen was ahead of them and filled everywhere with eggs.

So, question is how did you stop them or why don't they fill the additional space with brood, pollen etc?

Would much prefer to not use a QE.

Thanks to all for their comments.

Last edited:
No Queen excluder?
Why don't they fill the additional space with brood, pollen etc?

The quick and simple answer is yes they will but thats fine through the season, but by the end of the nectar flow most of these frames will contain mostly capped honey.

It would take a long time to explain the way I'm running my poly colonies but if you want to read up on roughly how I am managing my them without using a QE then I would highly recommend getting it " The Rose Hive Method " by Tim Rowe. http://tinyurl.com/3ho5ww8

I started with a plastic Queen excluder - then a flexible metal one with my second hive and a framed metal one with my third.

I prefer the framed metal ones and will be replacing the others as soon as I can afford it.

I started with a plastic Queen excluder - then a flexible metal one with my second hive and a framed metal one with my third.
I prefer the framed metal ones and will be replacing the others as soon as I can afford it.
I have been experimenting with framing a plastic excluder. I had some upvc fascia board offcuts, cut 18mm strips and attached with a hot glue gun and 3/8 in countersunk screws. Result is a flexible QX with a bee space underneath.

Doesn't get stuck down, far easier to place without having to clear bees off the top of the frames. Bees don't appear to have a problem with it, or no more than they did before. Does not sag as much as I thought it might, but a thinner excluder could have a small thin block across the middle. Not practical for hundreds of hives perhaps and I don't know how it will last over many seasons but I'm happy with it so far.

anyone tried the framed bamboo ones yet?

I have also bought the wired excluders from Thor*n and Cw Jones and then made up the outer frame with some cedar I have obtained.

Took me more than a few minutes thoug, although i am pleased with the result.

I have a few hives with the plastic excluders, I do not get on with the plastic ones and I agree the bees do go ping when prising them off.

They do not like being pinged:eek:

Latest posts

Back