Best procedure to relocate hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco666

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need to relocate my hives to a place that is more than 3 miles away from home. What is the best procedure to do that.
Thank you very much.

Seal them up the night before, strap them up and then move them.

Possibly a long way from being qualified to add to this but I moved my own hive from Sussex to Bedfordshire without incident.
The hive was strapped and entrance sealed. Mesh top without roof for ventilation and a few stops to spray a little water over them.
However that was a good few more miles than you have to go so hopefully it will be an easy move for you.

Thank you.

I've got another couple of questions. First, how long do you have to wait before they settle and you can re-open the hive at the new destination? Second, can I move a hive where I've got a new queen? I mean a queen that maybe has not mated yet. Thank you.

I've got another couple of questions. First, how long do you have to wait before they settle and you can re-open the hive at the new destination? Second, can I move a hive where I've got a new queen? I mean a queen that maybe has not mated yet. Thank you.

How far exactly is this new site? if only five,ten miles then an OMF should be sufficient (as long as you're confident there will be no serious traffic holdups)
Seal the entrance up the night before and move them first thing in the morning (so it's still relatively cool) use at least two hive straps either at ninety degrees or parallel one to each side - this will stop the boxes shifting and twisting apart.
Orientate the frames so that they are running fore and aft to the direction of travel (Frame lugs pointing to the front and rear of the vehicle), maybe raise the hive a few inches off the floor to ensure free movement of air.
To be honest, I just open up as soon as I put the hives in the new position, unless you've been particularly clumsy in moving the hives you shouldn't have a problem. Then again, had one hive fall off the barrow and roll twice before stopping at the new hive stand, I opened up immediately and still no great fuss.
If you have an old net curtain or mosquito net, drape that over the hive in the car and always keep your beesuit handy.

IF you can, I would wait until the queen is mated before moving, but if you have to - I can't see it being a big problem.

Beware the no top ventilation if there is nectar in the super/s. On shutting in there is often a surge of heat from the bees realising they are trapped and that heat can make the wax droop, the nectar pours down, wets the bees who fall to the omf blocking it and they suffocate.

Happened to me once during an all night move, and cost me dear. NOt a smell you want to get to know.

PH

Travelling with top ventilation and roof off is fine, but release the bees before putting the roof back on.

Thanks.

Feel more confident now. Saturday will be the day.
Thank you everyone.

The distance it's going to be around 4-5 miles.

Latest posts

Back