Best Poly Nuc for a new Beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve 20 of the bs and will have an order in for more, I don’t use them as twins the dividers are terrible i just use as singles. They have upgraded to metal dividers that may be better but I’ve not used them. I’ve now moved all mating Nucs into 5 or 6 frame boxes, you just don’t need to fill but gives them room to expand.

anyone else using full size nucs as mating nucs? Upping my queen rearing next year, looking into setting up a mating yard. Not sure commercial nucs would work? Not only cost, but they’d need quite alot of resources to work.

Does anyone know if the Abelo nuc parts fit the bs or maisemore nucs?
Abelo is a unique design which is incompatible with all else, but BS and Maisemore are made in the same factory and similar mould and are compatible to a degree: roofs and feeders will fit straight on, but runners on Maisemore extension boxes need to be cut off or a BS bottom box and Maisemore top box combo ends up with double beespace between.

Would be better if BS made their own brood extension boxes.

runners on Maisemore extension boxes need to be cut off or a BS bottom box and Maisemore top box combo ends up with double beespace between

I've used a Maise brood box on a BS nuc a couple of times. As it happens I didn't have any issue. Didn't need to cut the runners off. The bees made a little bit of comb to climb up maybe. Works fine. Would be better if BS did it themselves though as you say.

using full size nucs as mating nucs?
they’d need quite a lot of resources to work.
There lies the answer: 2f nucs use least, BS 3f twin boxes can use two + 1 foundation, but 6f is an excessive use of resources.

I know a nuc producer who started with 5 in February (40 others dead to vandals) and by August had built up to about 50. He told me he even used one frame to get mating done.

I've used a Maise brood box on a BS nuc a couple of times. As it happens I didn't have any issue. Didn't need to cut the runners off. The bees made a little bit of comb to climb up maybe. Works fine. Would be better if BS did it themselves though as you say.
I did this over spring this year, did get quite a bit of wild comb, but it was manageable.

Latest posts

Back