Best number of frames in brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 5mm excess space using 11 frames
The excess space is dependent on the chosen make of frames and can vary; one year I used Abelo frames and discovered the Hoffman bevels to be chamfered; result was that the frames occupied less space and left 10-15mm at the box wall.

I use Maisemore seconds and the 5mm disappears with propolis after a few weeks; it can be retrieved easily by levering away the body of all 11 frames against the box wall; the 5mm regained is used to hoick out the second frame. Takes about 3 seconds.

The great thing about this small flexible end space in the Abelo is that it has freed me from the nuisance and expense of dummy boards.

Last edited:
I prefer 11 plus dummy in my BN and 14 x 12 just for ease of removing first frame without bees on the frame.

11 and a dummy every time, you'll be glad of that extra bit of spare space by the middle of the season
Somewhere not so long ago I think I remember you said you used 11 slot castellation in BBs and only 10 or 9 in supers? So why dummy? Very little use for them unless in splits or whatever.

Somewhere not so long ago I think I remember you said you used 11 slot castellation in BBs and only 10 or 9 in supers? So why dummy? Very little use for them unless in splits or whatever.
I’ve had bees from Emyr. No castellations in his broods.

Somewhere not so long ago I think I remember you said you used 11 slot castellation in BBs and only 10 or 9 in supers
You remembered wrong then - Dani's right, never used castellations in my brood boxes and only ten slot castellations in the shallows (where I don't need dummy boards)

Latest posts

Back