Best incubator help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried (and succeeded) in building a home made QC incubator? I made one for hens eggs way back in about 1982 out of the angle iron frame of an 18" x 12" x 12" aquarium with (and I'm horrified to admit it now) a base and four sides of asbestos cut with a handsaw :eek: - to add to the insanity I used the old heater / thermostat out of the defunct fish tank and . . . . . it worked! This time I'm thinking of being a LOT more sensible :unsure: using an old desktop computer case with 50mm insulation all around the outside with an incandescent light bulb or a 'proper' incubator heating element and commercial thermostat. The point of using the computer case is that it's already wired for fans to circulate the air to equalise temperature and a couple of ceramic wall tiles should act as effective heat sinks. Thoughts anyone?

Has anyone tried (and succeeded) in building a home made QC incubator? I made one for hens eggs way back in about 1982 out of the angle iron frame of an 18" x 12" x 12" aquarium with (and I'm horrified to admit it now) a base and four sides of asbestos cut with a handsaw :eek: - to add to the insanity I used the old heater / thermostat out of the defunct fish tank and . . . . . it worked! This time I'm thinking of being a LOT more sensible :unsure: using an old desktop computer case with 50mm insulation all around the outside with an incandescent light bulb or a 'proper' incubator heating element and commercial thermostat. The point of using the computer case is that it's already wired for fans to circulate the air to equalise temperature and a couple of ceramic wall tiles should act as effective heat sinks. Thoughts anyone?
SWMBO's grandmother acquired an egg incubator made out of an old microwave once (I still think it's kicking around somewhere with her) and it worked a treat. Don't know why she wanted to rear more chickens though although it did keep her out of mischief for a while

I made a 12v heated 3 frame nuc which I've used as an incubator. It's made from a sandwhich of cedar and PIR and I use it for transporting temperature sensitive frames with eggs on. I can vary the moisture content by adding water to a sponge in the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Some 15 years ago, built mine from polybox/insulation inside a large cardboard box. Wooden lid with perspex to see through. Fan/controller mounted on lid.
240V fan, digital controller ex ebay £25 total.

Edit :25W lamp for heat. (screened from QCs so they are not in direct light)

It was originally built to hatch quail eggs . Is now used by QCs . Works well Water in base for humidity.

It's a bodge, and looks a mess but it works. I would rebuild properly or buy if doing QCs in volume but 10-15 at a time is fine.

( I am a Mean Scot)

Last edited:
Some 15 years ago, built mine from polybox/insulation inside a large cardboard box. Wooden lid with perspex to see through. Fan/controller mounted on lid.
240V fan, digital controller ex ebay £25 total.

It was originally built to hatch quail eggs . Is now used by QCs . Works well Water in base for humidity.

It's a bodge, and looks a mess but it works. I would rebuild properly or buy if doing QCs in volume but 10-15 at a time is fine.

( I am a Mean Scot)
That's encouraging 😁 thanks. I asked the electrician who is doing work on our kitchen yesterday I'd he ever stumbles across dead microwaves, or better yet, a dead, glass fronted wine / beer fridge! I thought the fridge would look 'cool' (even though it would need to be 'warm'). Nice guy, said no. I mean, what sort of electrician is that! JenkinsBrynmair has experience of a microwave being used for hens eggs but my wife has promised our son the old one. However, I DO have a cardboard box!!!! :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back