Best buy 2010

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Chichester Lidl on the way home 4-5 still left :cheers2: -woman on counter was fascinated by why I wanted to buy one. Explained was too keep my honey runny. What temp should I use and for how long?

75°F (24°C) prepares base honey and seed honey for creaming; decrystallises semi-granulated honey in jars.
80°F (27°C) prepares combs of blossom honey before uncapping and extracting (needs 12 hours or more)
90°F (32°C) prepares combs of heather honey before using a heather honey loosener or roller (36 hours or more)
95°F (35°C) prepares combs of rape honey which, though liquid, are not dripping with thin honey and have been at least half-sealed (needs 3 - 4 days)
100°F (38°C) liquifies honey that has been stored in airtight containers in bulk.
120°F (49°C) reclaims solidified rape honey. Cut the solid comb from the frames and mash them in a 30 1b plastic bucket. After 2 - 3 days the wax and a portion of the very solid crystals will be suspended in a mush in the liquid honey. Strain to remove the mush for processing in a steam or solar wax extractor. Do not allow liquid honey to remain at 120°F any longer than absolutely necessary.

Had this from somewhere

gentle warming

"100°F (38°C) liquifies honey that has been stored in airtight containers in bulk."

so that clarifies what dickbowyer and the Lidl checkout hottie can manage with their shared bodily warmth "survival skills practice" sessions.

Thanks for info chaps.

Just a bit of a heads up but the thermostat on my Lidl "jam maker" is not very accurate. When set to 50 degrees, it was running 60 degrees plus and I had to set it just above "off" to get 30 degrees so mine needs recalibrating. It may be a case of TADTS but would welcome feedback if it suggests I have a friday afternoon version. Do Lidl do thermometers?

TATDS - they all do that Sir. Yes it runs hot as opposed to the Woman on the till! :blush5: although she was most pleasant and helpful

Last edited:
Poly Hive

I reckon that I can just tolerate 60 degree with my hand in the water so mine runs very hot even with thermostat at 30 degrees. Suspect may need to invest in more expensive thermometer than Lidl version............

Poly Hive

I reckon that I can just tolerate 60 degree with my hand in the water so mine runs very hot even with thermostat at 30 degrees. Suspect may need to invest in more expensive thermometer than Lidl version............

Are you sure? I thought that 50 would strip skin?

My Best Buy 2010

Hope to get one this weekend. Sounds like I will have to knock up a better thermostat for it.
My best buy this year - 2 new colony's from essex paul yesterday, Pick up in the spring - cant wait. Thanks Paul.

Kev

Just looked again at the table of figures further up this thread and frankly I would not trust them.

I never heated heather supers to those temps.

PH

If you picked up a machine with a faulty thermostat why don't you just return it?

If you picked up a machine with a faulty thermostat why don't you just return it?

OK if you are quick; no guarantee the next will be any better; they will refund your money, but then you will have no warmer!

Remember these are a clearance line and that may be one of the reasons that particular item is there! There is sometimes scope for some small adjustment to a 'stat' range, if you are competant at making those adjustments. I would not recommend that route to any, although I may investigate myself as there are pitfalls which could seriously affect the safety of the item.

Presumably these are on/off bimetallic strip 'stats? If 'simmerstats', not thermostats it would amount to naughty sales descriptions possibly. If a thyristor controlled heat supply (I very much doubt that, for this application), they would be easy to alter.

Regards, RAB

Just had a look at their online operating instructions (attached) and it does specify a 3 year guarentee, though hopefully you wouldnt have to post it back to Germany!

I have found LIDL very good in the past when returning faulty products. I had a heater that cost £12.99 and it last just short of 12 months , I still had the receipt and took it back to the cash till and got a refund. no issues what so ever and very pleasant staff.

blackbrood,

:iagree:

But doesn't always help if the item is no longer stocked.

Our Lidl is mainly staffed by eastern Europeans, some of whom are a bit challenged when it comes to the idiosynchrases of the English language, but they are good crew, helpful and hardworking. That is one thing I like about Lidl - no apparent job demarcation. The downside to that is, perhaps, long queues at the check-out, even when the store is not so busy.

It is our regular shop, these days, over Morrisons, Waitrose, Tesco and Marks & Sparks.

Regards, RAB

The downside to that is, perhaps, long queues at the check-out, even when the store is not so busy.

We do get long queues at ours but only when busy. The staff at our local I have never before seen people work so quickly on a cash till. The word "Smokin" would be apt.

For a further £5 off check the Daily Mirror for Lidl money off vouchers.....got to spend £30 to qualify.....there was one in yesterdays edition....

Latest posts

Back