Best book for complete novice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all!

I have recently joined the forum and hope to get bees as soon as I have completed my "research" either later this year or next year. I am a complete novice with no mentor but I am joining my local society.

I have no books at present and have read your own reviews but you all sound like you have quite a bit of experience ! Could you recommend just one book (!) for a complete beginner to get me started!

many thanks, Floss

:seeya:Hi Floss,welcome to the forum

If you want a book that is good as a very first read I would go for "Bees at the bottom of the garden".
ISBN-10: 0907908977

bees at the bottom of the garden is a great book, i also like beekeeping for dummies especially if you are going to use langstroth hives...

i started by reading Langstroth on the Gutenberg website but that may be due to my historical bent. Huber is there too.

also some of the american universities have entire books on their sites, i'm sure there are some in the posts further down.

A warm welcom Floss!

Yeah, I agree, 'bees at the bottom of the garden' - its good for newbies like us, but beware, soon bee books will take over your house! (...amongst the other paraphenalia!!)

HI Floss

My first book was also Beekeeping for Dummies, very easy to read and pick things up quickly.
51ZSFA4ACPL._SL500_.jpg

Thank you so much for your replies ...thats a great start.... I'm off book shopping! Yes Widdershins, I am familiar with the books taking over the house after my journey into the world of hen keeping!!! I intend to find a warm corner with a hugh mug of something and will dive in! No doubt I will be back to ask further advice in the future!

many thanks, Floss

Hi Floss and welcome fellow Salopian!

I agree with Admin that 'Bees at the bottom of the garden' is a great first book but once you get bees you will want others like Sims and Hooper, which make more sense when you have a bit of experience.

Happy reading.

Just bee aware that books written in other countries will talk about colony strengths unknown in the UK.

Horses for courses.

PH

I had wanted to keep bees for years but had done nothing about it. Whilst on holiday a few years ago my wife went out shopping, she visited a second hadn book store and returned with Bees at the Bottom of the Garden. Needless to say I didn't put it down until I have read it cover to cover. On returning from holiday I booked my self on a course.

That book will always have a special place on my shelf.

I have ordered a couple of books on the internet including the "Bottom of the Garden" but they are going to take ages....Beekeeping for dummies seems to be the only one readily available!
Still, I have been to my first meeting which was very interesting and I anticipate a lifetime plus of learning ahead of me (and then some...gulp!). looking forward to a practical class in April!

Floss

to floss and everyone else.bite the bullet choose a book read it several times decide if it was any good and then do the sensible thing , TAKE IT BACK TO THE LIBRARY I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY PEOPLE DONT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS WONDERFUL SERVICE, IF THE IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT ON THE SHELF USE THE LIBRARY CATALOGUE COMPUTER TO SEE WHAT IS AVALIBLE AND WHERE FILL IN THE CARD AND IF ITS IN THE COUNTY SOMEWHERE ITS FREE TO HAVE THE BOOK DELIVERED TO THE LIBRARY OF YOUR CHOICE, i PERSONAL REALY USE THIS SYSTEM AND ITS BIGGER BROTHER , THE INTER LIBRARY LENDING SCHEME, AT THIS MOMENT I HAVE TWO BOOKS FROM POWYS AND ONE FROM LONDON AND SEVERAL MORE ON THE WAY, EVERY BOOK I HAVE BROUGHT IN THE LAST TEN YEARS IS ONLY AFTER I HAVE READ IT FROM THE LIBRARY AND DECIDED YES THATS WORTH THE ?10 OR WHAT EVER IT IS AND THEN I HAVE GONE OUT TO BUY IT AMAZONE OR WHAT EVER. i HAVE SAVED THOUSANDS OF POUNDS BECAUSE I DID NOT BUY THAT BOOK. i AM ALSO READING ALL THREE OF THE BEEKEEPERS STUDY NOTES , ALL BROUGHT FOR ME BY THE LIBRARY BECAUSE I ASKED THEM TO GET THEM FOR THE RE COLLECTION THATS ?75 SAVED STRAIGHT OFF AND HOW OFFTEN DO I WANT TO READ THEM

As a beginner I've no way of rating the quality of its advice, but I've found A Practical Manual of Beekeeping by David Cramp to be excellent. It's a new book, released in 2008, and I was given it as a gift. The author is a Brit who has also worked as a commercial beekeeper in Spain and NZ. This seems to give him a good perspective from both the hobbyist and commercial angles. It's well-written and seems comprehensive. I'd be very interested to hear the thoughts of any experienced beekeepers who have read the book.

Also, hedgerow pete: no need to shout! :nature-smiley-005: :bigear:

I bought both Cramp and Dummies and there are flaws with both though the lesser flaw is Cramp.

The dummies one is unreal. 4 stings in a year it warns.. uh huh.

Taking all Q cells out prevents swarming, uh huh, my aunt Sally it does.

I could go on. But wont as I feel an Ebay posting coming on.

Library is a very good idea.

PH

Latest posts

Back