Best beginer book ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottishdyker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there

Ive been looking threw old posts and have wrote down a few books that other peopel have spoke about , but whats the best book for a total newbie ? i take it theres no such thing as an beekeeping audiobook ? i find it hard to sit and read books so i try and buy audiobooks but you cant get everything on audio sadly ,

Many thanks Steven

"The Barefoot Beekeeper" - worked for me! :)

Hooper is the best.

I also found Sims useful - explains things well to a new beekeeper.

The Barefoot Beekeeper is doing a series of podcasts..
check out his website or search it in itunes....

dean

A Practical Manual of Beekeeping By David Cramp is also a very good begginers book.

Setting aside the *cough* wonderful world of TBH.... which some amuse themselves by promoting regardless of suitability to all and more.

I found Hooper to be very good, though some say it is a bit advanced for beginners they rather over look the matter of the more you read it the more you absorb.

PH

I found Hooper to be a lot to read to find the pertinent bits.

I still like that 'olde tyme booke' by Wedmore. One on epay for a tenner BIN. Obviously not for a total modern-day beginner, but a super reference book for those that just need a reminder of the time-proven methods (and do know of/understand the modern additions).

Regards, RAB

I would also say a guide to bee's and honey by T Hooper is a good book for starters.

I agree Wedmore is excellent but the thread brief is for a beginners book and whilst Wedmore is a lot of things one that I think he is not, is for beginners.

I consult him at least once a year and he usually has an answer for me.

PH

I'd say for a total novice bees at the bottom of the garden hits the right tone of friendly easilly understood basic information, its a very easy read. Move on to hooper or Clive de bruine when your ready

Ron Browns: Beekeeping a Seasonal guide is also quite good...

Another vote for Ted Hooper`s guide to bees and honey from me. I have read dozens of books over the last year but I always refer back to Ted when I`ve forgotten something.

Darren.

Try "BEEKEEPING FOR DUMMIES" very basic but got everything in it .Our library has a copy ISBN number 0-7645-5419-0 ---- VERY GOOD for BEGINNERS at whom it is aimed.Go on to Hooper ,Wedmore or Clive deBrayne later when your not quite so confused.I know you live inYETHOLM midway between Hawick and Berwick on Tweed so contact the BBKA or SBA to find your nearest Association.Someone there will point you in the right direction.

I never liked Beekeeping for dummies,worst beekeeping book I ever purchased.

I am not sure why I found it so bad but would give it 0/10
Maybe its the way it was written.

I agree Admin, BFD is apart from being American and so pretty much not applicable to the UK, there is just something about it that jars.

When I went to flog it back on Ebay there were loads for sale, so hang on...on Amazon there are 16 for sale today. So if it is that good why?

PH

I found Hooper to be a lot to read to find the pertinent bits.

I still like that 'olde tyme booke' by Wedmore. One on epay for a tenner BIN. Obviously not for a total modern-day beginner, but a super reference book for those that just need a reminder of the time-proven methods (and do know of/understand the modern additions).

Regards, RAB

:iagree:I bought my copy of Wedmore in 1980 and still refer to it now and again, it has a good index that helps find info quickly.
Mike

Latest posts

Back