Best before dates and lot number

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
This is just a general question and it has probably been asked before but where do you put your best before date and lot number, particularly if you are entering a honey show - a jar of honey for sale class.

This is just a general question and it has probably been asked before but where do you put your best before date and lot number, particularly if you are entering a honey show - a jar of honey for sale class.

either on the label with all the other legistlative stuff and in the same field of vision or anywhere you like as long as it says where on the mandatory part of the label. ie 'best before - see base'

We were disqualified in our local honey show because we did not have the lot number and best before date actually on the label. What we had was “see base for best before date and lot number “ on the label, with a label on the base giving the required information.

JBS? using the two line labeler how do you set out the info?

PH

We were disqualified in our local honey show because we did not have the lot number and best before date actually on the label. What we had was “see base for best before date and lot number “ on the label, with a label on the base giving the required information.

another one who doesn't really have a grip on the regulations by the looks of it
Probably the same kind of clown who doesn't realise that the statutory stuff doesn't have to be on the front label but can be on a secondary label - and on the back, as long as all the information is in the same field of vision.

If it's good enough for a senior National Honey Show judge, it's good enough for me

Surely if it is on the back, or on the base it is not in the same field of vision?

I believe that the The Food (Lot Marking) Regulations 1996 is the legal instrument which governs this. It stipulates:

Lot marking requirement
3.—(1) Subject to the exceptions specified in regulation 4 below, no person shall sell any food which forms part of a lot unless it is accompanied by a lot marking indication.

(2) For the purposes of this regulation—

(a)a lot shall be determined as a lot to which food in the sales unit belongs by a producer, manufacturer, packager, or the first seller established within the Community, of the food in question; and
(b)a lot marking indication—
(i)shall be determined and affixed under the responsibility of one or other of those operators; and
(ii)shall be preceded by the letter “L”, except in cases where that lot marking indication is clearly distinguishable from the other indications on the packaging of the food or on a label attached to its packaging.
(3) A lot marking indication—

(a)for prepacked food shall appear on, or on a label attached to, the packaging of the food; and
(b)for food which is not prepacked shall appear on the container of the food or on a commercial document which accompanies the food, and

shall in all cases appear in such a way as to be easily visible, clearly legible and indelible

Surely if it is on the back, or on the base it is not in the same field of vision?

if all the legislative information is on one label, regardless of where you put it, it's in one field of vision there is no requirement for the information to be on the 'front' of the jar as long as you state Best before - and then indicate where that info is you can then put the BBE and lot number on the base/lid/wherever

JBS? using the two line labeler how do you set out the info?

PH

I bought labels which have Best Before pre printed on the top half
and lot number: on the bottom
I set the gun to
dd mm yyyy on the top and

00000000123 on the bottom

Ah, the penny drops. Can I ask where you sourced them from please?

PH

Because I only bottle up small quantities of honey my local trading standards officer suggested that we write the best before date on the anti tamper label..Did have a small problem when TS queried some jars that had identical labels to mine, but they had little info on them....They were from a another local beek that was selling thru another shop in a village across the valley...We spoke politely to them but had a bit of abuse back...Now use a different label..

Because I only bottle up small quantities of honey my local trading standards officer suggested that we write the best before date on the anti tamper label..Did have a small problem when TS queried some jars that had identical labels to mine, but they had little info on them....They were from a another local beek that was selling thru another shop in a village across the valley...We spoke politely to them but had a bit of abuse back...Now use a different label..

Is that the same guy who loves nasty bees?

Latest posts

Back