Best bees for next year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Next year we would like to nice to less Swarmy good temperament bees. What is your view for the best queens to replace?

A good local breeder nearest to you. Perhaps ask at the local associations? Someone might have good mongrels that are best suited to local conditions

Good quality Buckfast every time. :patriot:

Until they mate with the locals and mess up the local poplulation. :)

Strangely enough, when I suggested that they had a bit of reputation, it was roundly denounced as being "another myth" ...

Perhaps those were 'interested parties'?
Everyone has a secret agenda! (Well, that's what the voices keep saying ...)

Strangely enough, when I suggested that they had a bit of reputation, it was roundly denounced as being "another myth" ...

Perhaps those were 'interested parties'?
Everyone has a secret agenda! (Well, that's what the voices keep saying ...)

I am sorry but I've heard all these stories when I started..

Carnie crosses are evil.

Buckfast crosses are evil..

After 3 full years of both, with random mating, guess what ?

It's typical beekeeping BS.

I have no doubt some crosses are evil. But some local bees are evil as well..

I now treat such comments with the deference they deserve :)

I get pretty bemused by these exchanges.

Is there even anything like local bees in urban or semi urban areas?

I can say buckfast has worked for me so far but that is not really very far.

Good quality Buckfast every time. :patriot:

Absolutely not, till you have found out what are other beekeepers are keeping around you. What I can positively tell you, is that Buckfast / apis meliffera meliffera crosses are just about capable of bursting the tyres of your car and you beekeeping won't be a happy experience. All bees are capable of going bad at some time or other, but this cross is a guaranted recipe for aggression. So find out what your neighbours have and stick with the locals.

I get pretty bemused by these exchanges.

Is there even anything like local bees in urban or semi urban areas?

I can say buckfast has worked for me so far but that is not really very far.
Get Italians, gentle and not had a problem with them to date.

And if they have nasty stingy unproductive bees...you keep in with them, and get the same.

Not a balanced viewpoint..................

I knew one beekeeper in Surrey who imported new queens every year... and nearly always lost the lot over winter.

Others were quietly selecting their best, and every time a nasty, bad tempered colony appeared the annual queen importer was pointed at as being the culprit who brought in the nastiness !

Days before computers let alone the internet!

Absolutely not, till you have found out what are other beekeepers are keeping around you. What I can positively tell you, is that Buckfast / apis meliffera meliffera crosses are just about capable of bursting the tyres of your car and you beekeeping won't be a happy experience. All bees are capable of going bad at some time or other, but this cross is a guaranted recipe for aggression. So find out what your neighbours have and stick with the locals.

I went down the Amm route for years sourcing the best queens available and the traits do not change. Defensive/slow to work, hard to requeen, unstable on the frames especially when without a mated queen and mostly swarmy. I don't sell Buckfast bees or queens so I have no vested interest in promoting them but I wouldn't have anything else now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back